• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abusive trade floor users

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abusive trade floor users

I've got a trade floor gig starting on Monday and I'm hearing all these stories about some of the users being more than 'very demanding' but actually going as far as physical abuse in some cases.

Is this true? Anyone had to put up with some real nonsense from them and how do you deal with it?

I'm being harrassed for an interview somewhere else even though I've accepted this gig. I want to make a go of it and want trade floor experience on my CV but if somoene started kicking me under the table for not cabling up their machine quick enough I'm not sure how I'd react.

There has to be some strategy for dealing with people like that - anyone care to share?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Worked three times on trading floors. High pressure, never really a problem but the testosterone definitely flies. For you role, though I have a story about my first time on a trading floor shadowing a senior techie

"There has to be some strategy for dealing with people like that - anyone care to share?"

Techie had a ticket for a trader saying that one of his monitors was flickering. So we both went over.

The trader was on the phone and when the guy arrived, the trader pointed at the screen, said 'FIX IT' and carried on with the call but still sat in the way. So the techie went under the desk between the guys legs and about 30 seconds later the trader is shouting down the phone 'Hello, hello, is there anyone there'

Techie pops up and the trader goes mental. "You ******* idiot, you cut me off". "Oh sorry goes the techie" and the trader remakes the call.

30 Seconds later the techie cuts him off again. This time the trader goes off the scale, screaming & shouting at the techie and storms off!

The techies head appears from under the desk and he says to me "Thats got rid of that tosser. Now let's change his monitor"

And the moral of this story is. Don't be intimidated.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

i hope they are paying you well

heard stories of keyboards being smashed over 1st line peoples heads.

Comment

Working...
      X