• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A cunning TAX question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cunning TAX question

Guys

I have just posed this question to my accountants.

If I drive my own car to work, then claim back mileage at 40p for the first 10K miles, can I also claim tax relief on the VAT I pay for my petrol? It is a business expense after all...???

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Guys

I have just posed this question to my accountants.

If I drive my own car to work, then claim back mileage at 40p for the first 10K miles, can I also claim tax relief on the VAT I pay for my petrol? It is a business expense after all...???
    No, because the 40p expenses includes 1-2p for the VAT element... and which you should be recording as input tax if you aren't on FRS.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes you can I belive, but you can only claim it on petrol used for business milage. It works about at about 1p per mile. You will also need tio keep the VAT receipts for all fuel purchases to support the claim.

It's far easier and more efficiant in tax terms to sign up for the Flat Rate Scheme instead. No need to keep track of VAT expenditure and it saves you money.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
      X