• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And just to prove my point in the smoking ban thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And just to prove my point in the smoking ban thread

Up pops another column in todays Telegraph endorsing my view that this smoking ban is all about petty rules, and that all it will do is bring out the jobsworths, the bossy nannies and the golf club committee members in their Blazers and bright yellow or red chorduroys.

His point is that people want to ban smoking, not because it is a health risk, or it is inconveniet or uncomfortable for others but because it is a "disgusting habit". So is wearing a blazer a disgusting sight, as being 60 years old and having a fat stomach is a disgusting sight.

Banning Foxhunting is another example. It has been done because it offends certain types. If it was about cruelty to animals then foxes themselves would have been banned. No it is yet another ban that has been made on the back of people's prejudice.
    Four wheel drive cars are the next target for a banning order. The environmental argument is a side issue (no one is clamouring to ban old cars are they?), they are seen as disgusting, intimidating and unnecessary. You saw it here first remember.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../02/do0204.xml

Sam Leith's notebook today says it all.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Four wheel drive cars are the next target for a banning order.
    and not too soon....
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

DA,
      do you smoke by any chance?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
        DA,
        do you smoke by any chance?
        I have never ever had even a drag on a fag (or a puff for that matter )
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Then you need to know that no amount of that quintessential Rec Con toiletry, hair gel, can mask the foul odours that the antisocial habit bestows upon you and your clothing. You should be firmly behind this move. Check the Poll stats, 2/3 in favour of the ban. Democracy in action! Even amoebas like sadguru have sniffed the wind and caught the mood, and if it has spread that far down the food chain it was only ever going to end up in one result.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've never head anyone who goes in pubs complain about smoke. The only people that seemed to be complaining (prior to the ban) were those who didn't like drinking/ pubs. Most bars these days are air conditioned, as DA infers it's all about the nanny state and the nimbies. Just an excuse for some more ticket wielding jobsworths. Meanwhile, Burglary and credit card fraud have been legalised, what a pathetic country this is.
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

The whole point about the smoking ban is that Neu Lieber promised in their last election manifesto to ban smoking from public places and pubs that sold food. They also said people should have a choice and if landlords wanted a separate 'snug' or smoking room, then fine.

Like a lot of things Neu Leiber **** up, someone asked the pertinent question "does a packet of crisps constitute food" which showed that once again NL had gone for a manifesto headline without really thinking about how they were going to deliver it.

So the easiest thing to do was completely renege on their manifesto pledge and go for an outright ban using 'facts' that had no definitive scientific evidence (except of course in the House of Lords and Houses of Parliament where smoking rooms are alowed because these buildings are classed, by the govt, as Palaces and not public places)

I don't have a problem with the smoking ban. I do have a problem with governments who break their promises.

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                I've never head anyone who goes in pubs complain about smoke. The only people that seemed to be complaining (prior to the ban) were those who didn't like drinking/ pubs. Most bars these days are air conditioned, as DA infers it's all about the nanny state and the nimbies. Just an excuse for some more ticket wielding jobsworths. Meanwhile, Burglary and credit card fraud have been legalised, what a pathetic country this is.
                I've been drinking in pubs for 27 years, I smoked for 12 years.

Only when I gave up did I realise the horrible smell that attaches itslef to your clothes when you go into a pub.

"most bars have a/c " ? You are joking aren't you ?
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                  I've been drinking in pubs for 27 years, I smoked for 12 years.

Only when I gave up did I realise the horrible smell that attaches itslef to your clothes when you go into a pub.

"most bars have a/c " ? You are joking aren't you ?

Obviously you're one of those people who complains but doesn't actually go in pubs anymore, most have a/c these days. Really, there is nothing worse than the ex smoker smoking nazi.

Smoking in pubs..It bothers some ex smokers, it bothers lilly livered people who go for the occasional drink at Christmas. Genuine pub drinkers don't care.
                  I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Smoking in pubs..It bothers some ex smokers, it bothers lilly livered people who go for the occasional drink at Christmas. Genuine pub drinkers don't care.
                    Probably because not breathing smokey disgusting posionous air and going to the pub were mutually exclusive.

Lilly livered??? haha they arent the ones with a drug addiction problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X