• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you trace an IP using skype?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you trace an IP using skype?

My partner had a work computer stolen last week. Unfortunately due to laziness, the Windows (XP) account wasn't locked down etc.

Anyway, I've just noticed that their skype account has come online! Cheeky feckers haven't wiped it yet then!

If I send them a message\file via skype, could I trace the IP?

Is it a direct PC -> PC connection or via some other "skype server"?

I'm at work presently so don't want to waste an opportunity trying it through the work network, so hopefully they'll still be online when I get in.

Originally posted by Spoiler
    My partner had a work computer stolen last week. Unfortunately due to laziness, the Windows (XP) account wasn't locked down etc.

Anyway, I've just noticed that their skype account has come online! Cheeky feckers haven't wiped it yet then!

I'm at work presently so don't want to waste an opportunity trying it through the work network, so hopefully they'll still be online when I get in.

Finding the IP address won't tell you where the laptop is located

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      Finding the IP address won't tell you where the laptop is located
      If its associated to a home broadband connection it could do.

Edit: best bet is to message it with a web link such as:

"Oh my...check you out being drunk and getting your tits out"

Then just look at the webserver logs for the IP address which may lead to a broadband connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        If its associated to a home broadband connection it could do.

Edit: best bet is to message it with a web link such as:

"Oh my...check you out being drunk and getting your tits out"

Then just look at the webserver logs for the IP address which may lead to a broadband connection.
        What if they're using an unsecured WAP?

Comment

I was hoping to get an IP address & see where I could get with it. Perhaps to an ISP, etc. Doubt the police will care, I hear they are a little busy at present!

I'll try the web page logging. Just need to come up with something enticing enough . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler

Lots of good stuff on the Skype protocol here

It's a peer to peer service with everything routed via super nodes so there is no way to see the IP addy of the phone you are calling, it's all routed behind the scenes. All you would see using a traffic sniffer would be the IP of the closest super node to you.

Setting up a fake site and baiting them with a message is probably the only way you will get anywhere.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

How about using something like netstat? That lists all open tcp and udp connections.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Setting up a fake site and baiting them with a message is probably the only way you will get anywhere.
                Cheers. I've got a web site I can use. Will check it logs okay first!

Think I'll go along with the ruse of uploading some pics from "that weekend away, ahem" or similar.

Comment

You might have some luck with a packet sniffer and a skype file transfer - that might be direct.
                  (Disclaimer: I haven't got time to read about the protocol, the above might be total b*llocks.)

(Are you the button pushing monkey, btw? Ignore if that makes no sense..)

Comment

Have you considered skyping them?

Try setting up an account pretending to be a taxi firm.

Skype em saying you are a new firm in the area accessed by their skype addy. You are offering a free taxi ride for the 1st 100 locals to use the new skype service from home.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X