• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent Contract

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some fairly quick advice.

I have been given the opportunity to work for a company here in the UK in a reasonably good position.

The role is pemanent. I have not work in a permanent role in the UK before. I only just received a copy of the contract to review so I am wondering about a couple of things I have read in the document.

1) In the termination of agreement I need to give 1 months notice, but the thing that surprised me was the company only needs to give 1 months notice as well. Is this common for permanent jobs in the UK?

2) I have been given a salary offer. Below this where it says Pension, it notes it to be 5% and is part of the salary offered. What is the difference between pension and National Insurance. Does this then mean my salary offer is not a true reflection of the after tax income that I have worked out using a PAYE calculator. In that to work out my PAYE I should be using a figure less than my salary offer?

I will be asking the above question from my potential employer but would like to have a second unbiased opinion.

Thanks

Originally posted by Working on it
    Hi everyone,

I am in need of some fairly quick advice.

I have been given the opportunity to work for a company here in the UK in a reasonably good position.

The role is pemanent. I have not work in a permanent role in the UK before. I only just received a copy of the contract to review so I am wondering about a couple of things I have read in the document.

1) In the termination of agreement I need to give 1 months notice, but the thing that surprised me was the company only needs to give 1 months notice as well. Is this common for permanent jobs in the UK?

2) I have been given a salary offer. Below this where it says Pension, it notes it to be 5% and is part of the salary offered. What is the difference between pension and National Insurance. Does this then mean my salary offer is not a true reflection of the after tax income that I have worked out using a PAYE calculator. In that to work out my PAYE I should be using a figure less than my salary offer?

I will be asking the above question from my potential employer but would like to have a second unbiased opinion.

Thanks
    1) Yes.
    2) That is a contribution to a private pension. It's part of your benefits package and is nothing to do with NI.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Thanks for that Cowboy Bob.

Comment

It is possible the quoted salary included the pension contribution or it may be that it excludes. The latter is common but the former is not unknown.

You don't say where your residence is, but it is possible you may be able to not join the UK social security system (and carry on paying in your home country) for a few years if this is to your advantage. Check HMRC website as a start point.

[I may of course have read more into "I have not work in a ...." than is accurate].

Comment

Working...
        X