• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Nanny.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Nanny.....

Now you've finally banished smoking (and reneged on an election manifesto pledge to offer people choice on the matter), are there any other things in life that can cause us harm and that you must ban, becauase we cannot possibly be trusted to make informed decisions on our own behalf?

Your advice is eagerly awaited.
    Last edited by Kyajae; 3 July 2007, 08:00.

Originally posted by Kyajae
    Now you've finally banished smoking (and reneged on an election manifesto pledge to offer people choice on the matter), are there any other things in life that can cause us harm, and that we cannot possibly be trusted to make informed decisions on our own behalf?

There was an article on the news recently where people are discouraged from smoking AT HOME because it may cause discomfort to council employees who may have to visit
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Now you've finally banished smoking (and reneged on an election manifesto pledge to offer people choice on the matter), are there any other things in life that can cause us harm and that you must ban, becauase we cannot possibly be trusted to make informed decisions on our own behalf?

How about soap operas, pseudo-reality show and tv games?
      Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Dear Kyajae,

Don't worry, this is only the start. We know best and therefore our banning tactics will allow you to live until a guarunteed 120 years old.

Next on the list will be:

Alcohol
        Fast Food
        Saturated Fats
        Cars
        Loud stereos
        Aeroplanes
        Fat people

Gym membership will be compulsory, as will attending AA if you drink more than 21 units of alcohol a week. We encourage a posing, preening society, satisfied with hanging out at Starbucks (decaffeinated of course), organic food and being a boring t*sser.

Nanny
        Call the cops

Comment

Now you've finally banished smoking (and reneged on an election manifesto pledge to offer people choice on the matter)

You do have a choice. The choice of whereabouts outside you stand to feed your addiction. My advice is choose somewhere with a good through draught and that way you can simultaneously remove some of the disgusting stench from your clothes. Try and make it downwind of us non-smokers though won't you?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
            You do have a choice. The choice of whereabouts outside you stand to feed your addiction. My advice is choose somewhere with a good through draught and that way you can simultaneously remove some of the disgusting stench from your clothes. Try and make it downwind of us non-smokers though won't you?

AAMOF I don't smoke. And I don't have a problem with the smoking ban. What I do have a problem with is a govt that pledged in its manifesto to bring in a smoking ban in public places but to give landlords the option of whether or not to provide food and so not be subject to the ban. Becuase the issue bombed into such complexity (e.g. is a packet of crisps classed as food), the govt copped out and allowed the vote for a complete ban.

I don't particularly like being in a smokey atmospshere. But what worries me more is how a govt can break a clear manifesto promise in order to nanny people even more.

HTH

Comment

But what worries me more is how a govt can break a clear manifesto promise
              If that is what worries you then you are in deeper sh1t than you realise!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
              X