• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homeworking Written Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeworking Written Contract

Just got sent this by my manager...

'Home working within xxxxxx is still being conducted on a pilot basis and could be subject to change so, although I agree to the one day a week at home, I have been advised not to write it into the contract and hope we can agree on a flexible arrangement based on the the service as discussed previously.

Mnnnn im not exactly happy about this set up.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by el duder

'Home working within xxxxxx is still being conducted on a pilot basis and could be subject to change so, although I agree to the one day a week at home, I have been advised not to write it into the contract and hope we can agree on a flexible arrangement based on the the service as discussed previously.

Thoughts?
    Your job is about to be "offshored"
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Thoughts?
      Ask him if he'd be happier putting it in the contract with pre-defined review points (2 weeks, 4 weeks, 12 weeks). He can then have the right to remove homeworking at any of these predefined points.

This addresses his worry of having no control over your homeworking and your worry of it not being in the contract.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thoughts?
        Your contract should be based on deliverables, so as long as you deliver, it doesn't matter where you are. In the pub, at home, on mars. As long as you deliver. And tell your manager to get over himself, the days of performance being 'managed' by people who can only tell if you are delivering, by your coat being on the back of your chair, are over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
          And tell your manager to get over himself, the days of performance being 'managed' by people who can only tell if you are delivering, by your coat being on the back of your chair, are over.
          Except that in reality, an increasing number of contracts are moving away from deliverables and towards a BoS arrangement to allow the client maximum flexibility and control over their "employee". That's what I'm seeing anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
            Your contract should be based on deliverables, so as long as you deliver, it doesn't matter where you are. In the pub, at home, on mars. As long as you deliver. And tell your manager to get over himself, the days of performance being 'managed' by people who can only tell if you are delivering, by your coat being on the back of your chair, are over.

thats the problem u see. they havent given me any set deliverables. the manager uses my resource for her own self gain.

i.e she gets the objectives and decideds how she would use and 'if' she wants me to get involved.

i end up surfing the net, and doing basic support. of which i can do anywhere as long as there is a internet connection and telephone. i could do this job from home every day of the week.

Comment

. i could do this job from home every day of the week.

so could "Geoff" in Mumbai
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                so could "Geoff" in Mumbai
                Very true. "Geoff" charges A LOT less too.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  Very true. "Geoff" charges A LOT less too.

they dont want geoff. they want to renew me.

geoff is not the issue here.

its bum on seat mentality.

Comment

geoff is not the issue here.

Love it, duder.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X