• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the minimum salary I can pay myself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the minimum salary I can pay myself?

I am director of limited company and am currently contracting.

What's the minimum amount I can pay myself in salary? I guess £5100 if I want to stay in State Pension, but suppose I'm not interested in this?

As a director you dont have to pay yourself any salary at all. But for the purposes of tax efficiancy then a minimal salary up to the initial tax threshold is advantagous. There is a school of thought that says paying yourself NMW is a good move to avoid undue interest from HMRC but this is debated on a regular basis with no firm conclusions.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by beermeister

What's the minimum amount I can pay myself in salary? I guess £5100 if I want to stay in State Pension, but suppose I'm not interested in this?
      In 2007-2008, you need to earn over £4,524 for it to be a State Pension qualifying year.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...on/DG_10014671

Comment

The reason why it is more tax efficient to pay yourself 5200 rather tan 0 is probably best shown by example, because it doesn't really sound right.

T/Over 10,000
        Expenses Nil

Profit 10,000
        CT 2,000

Available for dividend £8,000

Personal side: no recalim is available, so net in pocket = £8,000, tax paid (self and co) = £2,000

---------------------------------

T/Over 10,000
        Expenses Nil
        Salary 5,200 (ee/er NI + paye = 0)

Profit 4,800
        CT 960

Available for dividend £3,840

Personal side: net in pocket = £9,040. Total tax = £960.

A further advantage of the salary is that between the LEL for NI and the zero rate although the NI payable is nil you still get a years pension entitlement (but check....)

[Of course if you have salary from elsewhere as well then you might as well pay no salary]

Comment

Some would argue that you need to pay yourself minimum wage at least - that's what my accountant recommended.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
            Some would argue that you need to pay yourself minimum wage at least - that's what my accountant recommended.
            I know a number of accountants recommend it. Any recommendation as a "lets try to keep below the radar" is fair enough.

I would be concerned about any accountant suggesting it was a LEGAL requirement to pay NMW to a director (unless the director has a service contract).

Here's what the DTI have to say:-

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/pay...page12589.html
            Last edited by ASB; 3 July 2007, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              I know a number of accountants recommend it. Any recommendation as a "lets try to keep below the radar" is fair enough.

I would be concerned about any accountant suggesting it was a LEGAL requirement to pay NMW to a director (unless the director has a service contract).

Here's what the DTI have to say:-

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/pay...page12589.html
              No - mine was a definite recommendation to try and keep things off radar.

There is no requirement to pay a director any salary though.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

the accountant said it is common for contractors to draw 800 and something /month as a salary

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                  the accountant said it is common for contractors to draw 800 and something /month as a salary
                  That's just over minimum wage, which is what I pay myself.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by beermeister

In 07/08 the Lower Earnings Limit is £87 pw which will qualify you for a state pension. However, this level of salary will also qulaify you for a State Second Pension (S2P, formerly SERPS) and the rebate for this will be based on assumed earnings of £13,000 so it's a bit of a freebie really. So you can avoid NI but still qualify for OAP and S2P.

Comment

Working...
                    X