• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cake or sweets with evening meal - valid subsistence?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cake or sweets with evening meal - valid subsistence?

hi. i'm thinking this is too much to worry about, but if i claim £5 worth of evening meal receipt from co-op and there is a Mars bar on it.. is that an invalid subsistence?

technically i don't need any sweet stuff etc!
    Also the Mars bar will probably have VAT charged on it.. can i just save the hassle and list it as a NET £5 and not bother trying to claim any VAT on the mars bar..? I wish the receipt would give a better breakdown.. they're not flaggin the Vat items..
    thx richy
    Last edited by richy; 3 July 2007, 22:32.

Only government approved gruel can be claimed as subsistence under Gordon Brown.

Anything else is classed as "luxury that is".

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by richy
      hi. i'm thinking this is too much to worry about, but if i claim £5 worth of evening meal receipt from co-op and there is a Mars bar on it.. is that an invalid subsistence?

technically i don't need any sweet stuff etc!
      Also the Mars bar will probably have VAT charged on it.. can i just save the hassle and list it as a NET £5 and not bother trying to claim any VAT on the mars bar..? I wish the receipt would give a better breakdown.. they're not flaggin the Vat items..
      thx richy
      It depends what you are trying to claim for.

If you are staying away from home overnight then you can claim £5 unreceipted for things that you wouldn't normally expect to get receipts for, eg newspapers, and mars bars I would think.

How much is the VAT on a mars bar? - about 8p. I wouldn't claim the VAT on that.

On your original point, I think most in IT would think that a mars bar is perfectly valid as subsistence.

Comment

your brain doesn't function without adequate levels of blood sugar. So i guess the mars bar is a necessity when working long hours

come to think of it..its past midnight.. I must get a strawberry milkshake

Comment

Richy,

You are quite right to highlight the VAT issue. This is only allowable if you can establish that it was in fact a chocolate milkshake rather than a mars bar (because technically it might have been banana milkshake which is not subject to VAT) and also that you are not on the FRS scheme.

It is also important to accept that any entertainment value from the banana was of no personal benefit to you - or the recipent of said banana.

Comment

Working...
          X