• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drivers manners these days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers manners these days

Has anybody else noticed that drivers seem more discourteous these days? More and more drivers pull out quickly at junctions, even if a car is approaching. I've been mulling on this for a long time now. I think it is to do with increased traffic on the roads. People at junctions assume if they wait for one car to pass they will be trapped for ages. I'm sure that when I started driving - 15 yrs ago- people were a lot more patient.

Crikey, doesn't the above make me sound like an old git!

Originally posted by Burdock
    Has anybody else noticed that drivers seem more discourteous these days? More and more drivers pull out quickly at junctions, even if a car is approaching. I've been mulling on this for a long time now. I think it is to do with increased traffic on the roads. People at junctions assume if they wait for one car to pass they will be trapped for ages. I'm sure that when I started driving - 15 yrs ago- people were a lot more patient.

Get a 10 year old 4x4 ... then they don't pull out
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yes and yes.

I think driving in London turns you into some sort of crazed monster. Maybe that's just me.

As for driving in Moscow, I wouldn't try it.

I think it's related to the amount of free space on the roads.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        Get a 10 year old 4x4 ... then they don't pull out
        ha!

Troll - all of your advice revolves around buying a 4x4! I might do so - will it also help me:

1) Increase my hourly rate
        2) Make Maria Sharapova fall in love with me
        3) Help me get to Heaven

Hope you can help!

Comment

ha!

Troll - all of your advice revolves around buying a 4x4! I might do so - will it also help me:

1) Increase my hourly rate
          2) Make Maria Sharapova fall in love with me
          3) Help me get to Heaven

Hope you can help!
          1 & 2 no probem not so sure about 3 though.

I was in America recenty and trying to figure out the priorities at junctions.. got talking to a waitress and asked her the question... she said whoever had the biggest car and the most insurance has the right of way- the UK is heading that way.

One of the things that reay pisses me off is I recognise that the roads are over crowded and we all have to join at a junction at some point, so I always let one car in and then proceed.
          The amount of times I've then seen the driver that I let in refuse to allow anyone else in at the next junction! just seems such bad manners - and why is it always a woman?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
            1 & 2 no probem not so sure about 3 though.

I was in America recenty and trying to figure out the priorities at junctions.. got talking to a waitress and asked her the question... she said whoever had the biggest car and the most insurance has the right of way- the UK is heading that way.

One of the things that reay pisses me off is I recognise that the roads are over crowded and we all have to join at a junction at some point, so I always let one car in and then proceed.
            The amount of times I've then seen the driver that I let in refuse to allow anyone else in at the next junction! just seems such bad manners - and why is it always a woman?
            In US the junction rule is basically whoever gets there first, goes first and then you take turns on that basis. I find that works well.....

Comment

What do you expect of a society comprised of isolated information processors, designed to consume manufactured wants, who only have their own self interests at heart?

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                In US the junction rule is basically whoever gets there first, goes first and then you take turns on that basis. I find that works well.....
                Can you imagine in the UK?

Who gets to a junction first? Mayhem.

Loons putting pedal to metal to skid to the junction first.

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                  Americans drive slower and less agressively though
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The one that annoys me is when you are driving down a road and somebody who has clearly seen you, pulls out, making you brake and then does 25mph.

It's not just cars though. There is the thing where pedestrians, usually wearing a stupid cap and their pants tucked into their socks, step off the road and infront of cars as though they own the place. I nearly ran one of these fookwits over a bit ago. But then I did put my foot down to get the little scrote.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X