• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Richard Dawkins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Dawkins

Old Greg,

I've wanted to read 'The God Delusion' for a long time, however I've been put off by comments that Dawkins is too much of a fundamentalist in his own (non-religious) way, and that this comes across as grating.

So, do you recommend?

Never read it, but in the absence of any evidence whatsoever for the existence or otherwise of a god/God, I reckon it's best just to make up your own mind rather than rely on the emotive, unsubstantiated propaganda of others.

Comment

I've read it, but to be honest agreed with its central premise anyway, so nothing was new to me.
      How can you be a fundamentalist in not believing a fairy tale?
      Although for a different and very interesting perspective, read Straw Dogs by John Gray
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        Although for a different and very interesting perspective, read Straw Dogs by John Gray
        I saw the film.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          I saw the film.
          I've got the SLF record.
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Very good and well written too. lots of interesting ideas about the orign of the universe, life, consciousness, religion morality, that's as far as I've got.

He's aggressively anti-religion and about time too.

Comment

Worth a read in my opinion. He justifies his extreme 'anti-religiousness' in a rational way, as you would expect from him. After reading it however I couldn't help but think that in a world that isn't mostly populated by the dim and mentally ill, his vision for a religion free future sounds great. We are not in that world, some people will insist on fairy tales.

Comment

right...I'm convinced...will buy it.

Along with Sas's 'Straw Dogs'.

If I can offer anybody a book recommendation in return, it is 'Life of Pi'.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  A Scanner Darkly... P. K. Dick... distopian nightmare...
                  I get enough of that here.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    A Scanner Darkly... P. K. Dick... distopian nightmare...
                    Was that anything to do with the film Scanners?

Comment

Working...
                    X