• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cooker

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooker

Another OT question for the board. Just moved into new house. OH unhappy with existing gas cooker. Would prefer electric, and indeed we possess one from the previous house, but this house does not seem to have a 63A cooker point, so we'd have to get it wired from the distribution board, all through the house. Or get a dual-fuel cooker. So I'm loooking for:

1. dual fuel, fan oven
    2. 60 cm wide
    3. 2-cavity, i.e. gril separate from oven
    4. gas grill (because oven on its own is OK on 13A circuit)
    5. variable oven.

Strangely, I can find cookers with any 4 of these characteristics, but not all 5. Does anyone happen to know of such?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

I doubt if the oven would be OK on a 13A circuit, unless it's a dedicated one. If it's part of the ring, you need to watch the total loading.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      Another OT question for the board. Just moved into new house. OH unhappy with existing gas cooker. Would prefer electric, and indeed we possess one from the previous house, but this house does not seem to have a 63A cooker point, so we'd have to get it wired from the distribution board, all through the house. Or get a dual-fuel cooker. So I'm loooking for:

1. dual fuel, fan oven
      2. 60 cm wide
      3. 2-cavity, i.e. gril separate from oven
      4. gas grill (because oven on its own is OK on 13A circuit)
      5. variable oven.

Strangely, I can find cookers with any 4 of these characteristics, but not all 5. Does anyone happen to know of such?
      Sounds a lot like what I was looking for a while back. People like Stoves and NewWorld (maybe same firm?) do some but they're not very good. Your Siemens, SMEGs and Baumatics (i.e. dearer stuff) tend to be electric only - gas isn't that popular in Europe.

You might find a gas grill with an electric oven on a 60cm free-standing, but that's naff.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
        Sounds a lot like what I was looking for a while back. People like Stoves and NewWorld (maybe same firm?) do some but they're not very good. Your Siemens, SMEGs and Baumatics (i.e. dearer stuff) tend to be electric only - gas isn't that popular in Europe.

You might find a gas grill with an electric oven on a 60cm free-standing, but that's naff.
        Oh, I thought you said Neff.....

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
          I doubt if the oven would be OK on a 13A circuit, unless it's a dedicated one. If it's part of the ring, you need to watch the total loading.
          No, it is OK: remember the circuit that supplies 13A sockets in the kitchen is not a 13A circuit, mine is 32A. I could even put the oven in 1 socket and the grill in another!

Comment

I have a Neff oven and very nice it is too, especially the self cleaning part .

Anyway I would just wire in a 63A wire myself, nowt wrong with hacking a few holes in walls when you have only just got the place. You can also hack enough holes in the wall to network the place up while your at it, although if you are planning on plastering over the holes yourself I reccomend wallpaper. unless you get a pro to do the plastering (Or are a pro) it will look dodgy once painted and you have light shining on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba

Ooh I have a Smeg oven and hob (electric and gas respectively) ...does that make me a cooker snob??

I don’t think there are any worries about having just an oven on a 13A circuit as its electric rings that suck the juice.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                I have a Neff oven and very nice it is too, especially the self cleaning part .

Anyway I would just wire in a 63A wire myself, nowt wrong with hacking a few holes in walls when you have only just got the place. You can also hack enough holes in the wall to network the place up while your at it, although if you are planning on plastering over the holes yourself I reccomend wallpaper. unless you get a pro to do the plastering (Or are a pro) it will look dodgy once painted and you have light shining on it.
                My OH works for an electrical contracting firm and will not let me DIY that.

If I were a pro plasterer I wouldn't be worried about the expense of getting the wiring done.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  Ooh I have a Smeg oven and hob (electric and gas respectively) ...does that make me a cooker snob??
                  Eh? When did I say anything about snobs?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    Anyway I would just wire in a 63A wire myself, nowt wrong with hacking a few holes in walls when you have only just got the place. You can also hack enough holes in the wall to network the place up while your at it...
                    Yes, I can see the advantages in that.....

Comment

Working...
                    X