• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation at 10000%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation at 10000%

http://www.guardian.co.uk/zimbabwe/a...118942,00.html

See, it could be worse...
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

How do they work out inflation of 10000%
    If you buy bread for one pound today , will it be £833 after one month ?

Comment

I'm a financial retard. Can someone explain to me what happens to existing loans, like mortgages or car loans, when hyper-inflation hits. I mean, could you, say, sell a potato and have enough to pay off your mortgage, or does the interest on your mortgage hyper-inflate at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
        I'm a financial retard. Can someone explain to me what happens to existing loans, like mortgages or car loans, when hyper-inflation hits. I mean, could you, say, sell a potato and have enough to pay off your mortgage, or does the interest on your mortgage hyper-inflate at the same time?
        I believe it would depend if that mortgage is fixed rate or not. Plus, the situation that led to such a level of inflation would mean that you would not be prepared to sell that potato, as it's the only one left in your region.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65
          Well back in the hyper inflation days in Germany the price of a coffee would change from the time it was poured into the cup and you got to the till to pay for it. Sometimes magnitudes long.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
            How do they work out inflation of 10000%
            If you buy bread for one pound today , will it be £833 after one month ?
            Nope, it would be £1.47 after 1 month.

(10000% to the power of 1 twelth) x £1.00
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
              Nope, it would be £1.47 after 1 month.

(10000% to the power of 1 twelth) x £1.00
              No its not .
              £1.47 means a 47% increase in a month and 564% in a year

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                No its not .
                £1.47 means a 47% increase in a month and 564% in a year
                Haven't heard of compound interest then?
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

If I won the lottery I would find a way of taking out Mugabee. (And Ken)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                    If I won the lottery I would find a way of taking out Mugabee. (And Ken)
                    Very charitable of you. Where to?

Comment

Working...
                    X