• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Image editing with Adobe Photoshop CS3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image editing with Adobe Photoshop CS3

I need to edit some product images for a website.
    I'm using Photoshop CS but am new to this and image editing in general.

The images are of varying size but, in the first instance, I need to get them down to a standard 600(w) x 800(h) whilst keeping the proportions the same.
    (i.e. so it doesn't look like the images are being viewed in a fairground mirror!)

Although I can edit one of the dimensions, it adjusts the other one proportionally but not to the dimensions I need (600 x 800).

For example, I have an image which is 537(w) x 1345(h).
    How do I edit this proportionally to get it to 600(w) x 800(h)?

Can anyone give me some pointers or direct me to a website(s) which may have some easy to follow tutorials.

Originally posted by Clippy
    For example, I have an image which is 537(w) x 1345(h).
    How do I edit this proportionally to get it to 600(w) x 800(h)?
    You can't, it won't be proportional. the best you can do it 600(w)*716(h). You could then copy this whole image and paste it into a new blank 600*800 image and make the background transparent (But then that all depends on your file format)...

Comment

You'll need to crop, or have blank bits on 2 edges.

Resize so the image is the right width but too tall (or the right height but too wide) then change the canvas size to the correct end dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        You can't, it won't be proportional. the best you can do it 600(w)*716(h). You could then copy this whole image and paste it into a new blank 600*800 image and make the background transparent (But then that all depends on your file format)...
        Thought this was the case but wasn't sure If I was missing something.

So, on the whole for all of my images, I should be able to get one dimension as I want it (either 600 or 800) and the other one proportional.

The deciding factor for which one to 'get right' should be based on whether my image is taller or wider. Right?

Is this the way to go without cropping as suggested by timh?

Comment

Me and Tim are basically saying the same thing, Tim has gone into more detail

Comment

Thank you chaps.

Comment

Not really relevent to this question, but an alternative method to standard cropping is to create a new image with a canvas (e.g. size 600 x 800) and then paste the full size image into it. You can then resize the pasted image (holding the Shift key down to keep the proportions fixed) until you've got the bit you want to "crop" centered in the canvas. Then save the image, delete that layer and paste the next image in.

I've found that method a lot easier than trying to get the cropping tool in the right position anyway.

Comment

Re-read my first post again

Comment

Would you say this is the method retail websites use to keep image sizes consistent?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                    Would you say this is the method retail websites use to keep image sizes consistent?
                    Yup, although if they have a half decent website it will resize the picture for them usinf ASP/PHP.

Comment

Working...
                    X