• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project on hold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project on hold

Working for an Investment bank, doing vb6/scripting for one of their projects which is now on hold. I have 5 weeks left of my contract and there is nothing for me to do at the moment so they want me to do audits... i.e running around asking users what hardware/software they use. Where do I stand, can I refuse and still keep my job. It's good money and I want to see out the remaining 5 weeks, but doing audits for 5 weeks doesn't sound like my cup of tea..

It's only 5 weeks. Do the audits and use the time to look for your next gig.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
      Working for an Investment bank, doing vb6/scripting for one of their projects which is now on hold. I have 5 weeks left of my contract and there is nothing for me to do at the moment so they want me to do audits... i.e running around asking users what hardware/software they use. Where do I stand, can I refuse and still keep my job. It's good money and I want to see out the remaining 5 weeks, but doing audits for 5 weeks doesn't sound like my cup of tea..
      Are you a code monkey or an auditing monkey?

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars
        It's only 5 weeks. Do the audits and use the time to look for your next gig.
        I don't have the attitude that I'm too good to be doing audits, but really I don't think I can handle walking around for 8 hours a day asking questions. I think I will be bored out of my mind after 2 days.

Comment

Good way to meet attractive women.

Comment

Just keep thinking, they are paying me to do this. I agree that it could be mind numbing though.

Comment

Doesn't sound good from an IR35 perspective...

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                You're probably within your rights to say no - sounds very like direction and control to me.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Basically they're being nice, well they don't want the hassle with the agency so it suits them, they don't really need you to do audits. Find a new contract and they'll let you go, and be thankful you're getting paid while doing it.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Ah, that old ploy: “If you can’t get anywhere with your own project, make sure that nobody can make any progress with theirs and so gain political advantage within the bank”.

Design an in-depth questionnaire and distribute it to your manager’s peers. Make sure that the questions are obscure and inconsistent. After a period of time that is too short to complete the questionnaire satisfactory, start chasing the recipients for responses. Issue an interim report to all managers requiring response. Produce a final report recommending a further detailed study, but also recommending that it is sponsored by a more senior member of staff because of the weak responses of those surveyed.
                    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
                    X