• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Filesharing between Vista and XP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filesharing between Vista and XP

Feck me I thought this should be a doddle.

Got my mum's new Vista (home) laptop and want to copy across all the gubbins from the XP desktop.

Both are connected vie ethernet through a 4 port linksys ADSL router and ping each other fine.

Well after going through the merry dance of figuring out where all the options I want are in Vista I've got the workgroup names the same on both machines, turned off the windows firewalls, uninstalled fecking Norton gobshyte internet pile of steaming turd and guess what.

They still won't show up in my network places and I can't even connect via a \\192.168.1.x typed straight into the run command...

..but they still ping each other fine.

So it's a sunny day and I'm trawling through forums etc like this one here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/netw...-vista-xp.html

FFS why can't 2 versions of an OS just fecking do what they're meant to do - is that really that much to ask?

*EDIT*

OK can see the Vista from the XP and that'll do me!

The removal of Norton was the last thing I tried, think I better download AVG
    Last edited by Jog On; 7 July 2007, 16:47.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

From reading the post, it looks like you want to transfer your My Documents, Favorites, Desktop settings etc from one computer to another right?

XP has a File and Programs Transfer Wizard found in Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools folder. I assume Vista must have the same facility and so you should be able to transfer one to another - would this facility work?

(If I've read the post wrong, sorry)

Comment

Sympathise. It certainly is possible as I have managed to copy files over network without probs after doing same as you. However, not surprised you can't get it to work as Vista is biggest pile of tulipe since the history of the universe, slow, canes the disc constantly, unstable and every day something else does not work. Generally I do a search and find loads of other people with the same problem but no solutions. Used to do system restore on XP but that doesn't work in Vista either.

The only thing I do find is that if an install of some program screws something up the offending settings are specific to the user. Worth trying a different one.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
        Feck me I thought this should be a doddle.

Got my mum's new Vista (home) laptop and want to copy across all the gubbins from the XP desktop.

Both are connected vie ethernet through a 4 port linksys ADSL router and ping each other fine.

Well after going through the merry dance of figuring out where all the options I want are in Vista I've got the workgroup names the same on both machines, turned off the windows firewalls, uninstalled fecking Norton gobshyte internet pile of steaming turd and guess what.

They still won't show up in my network places and I can't even connect via a \\192.168.1.x typed straight into the run command...

..but they still ping each other fine.

So it's a sunny day and I'm trawling through forums etc like this one here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/netw...-vista-xp.html

FFS why can't 2 versions of an OS just fecking do what they're meant to do - is that really that much to ask?

*EDIT*

OK can see the Vista from the XP and that'll do me!

The removal of Norton was the last thing I tried, think I better download AVG
        This could have saved you some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
          This could have saved you some time.

Now that is one cool bit of kit.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks - I got it sorted in the end. The main source of the frustration was that something as simple as connecting 2 machines via a workgroup had to be such a complete and utter headache.

A 5 minute job like that shouldn't need over an hour of Googling and jumping through hoops trying this and that. Why is it that everytime MS bring out a new OS they have to go all doolally with bells and whistles to the extent that the basic stuff doesn't work..

Networking XP and Vista should be seemless IMO.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

[QUOTE

Networking XP and Vista should be seemless IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but then again, so should restoring from data in Vista from a backup created in XP...but you can't without installing NTBackup...FFS

Comment

It was the removal of Norton Internet Security that enabled the XP machine to see the Vista share. Even with that removed and both firewalls turned off I still couldn't browse or connect to the XP machine from Vista though.

They could both ping each other fine...

I decided not to spend any more time on it after I'd copied the stuff across.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
                  It was the removal of Norton Internet Security that enabled the XP machine to see the Vista share. Even with that removed and both firewalls turned off I still couldn't browse or connect to the XP machine from Vista though.

They could both ping each other fine...

I decided not to spend any more time on it after I'd copied the stuff across.
                  Norton is a waste of space. Windows (XP/Vista) comes with a perfectly good firewall for the majority of users so why waste the money? Also Norton anti virus is completely useless, use a decent program like Kaspersky Anti Virus (Who better to find virus' than the people who wrote most of them??? )

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    Norton is a waste of space. Windows (XP/Vista) comes with a perfectly good firewall for the majority of users so why waste the money? Also Norton anti virus is completely useless, use a decent program like Kaspersky Anti Virus (Who better to find virus' than the people who wrote most of them??? )
                    Yeah it was already installed and I'd faffed around trying to allow local network filesharing and after about an hour of tearing my hair out I decided to just remove the fecker which I intended to do anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X