• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employer

There have been posts about negatives issues with having a contract with the same company for a prolonged amount of time.

I have seen the 24 month rule for the place of work. However, several people have written they prefer not to stay with the same client for more than 12 months.

However, I invoice the agency, through which I found the contract and will also receive my payments from the agency.

Therefore, in HRMC's eyes, is my relationship with the agency or with the company I am contracting my services to?

Which also begs the question, can I use the same agency to for 12/24/more months etc?
    Last edited by ptrcontract; 8 July 2007, 17:51.

Originally posted by ptrcontract
    There have been numerous posts about issues with staying with the same employer for a length of time.

I have seen the 24 month rule for the place of work. However, several people have written they prefer not to stay with the same client for more than 12 months.

However, I invoice the agency, through which I found the contract and will also receive my payments from the agency.

Therefore, in HRMC's eyes, is my relationship with the agency or with the company I am contracting my services to?

Which also begs the question, can I use the same agency to for 12/24/more months etc?
    Refering to a company that yourco supplies your service to as an employer wont help much.

Comment

Originally posted by fzbucks
      Refering to a company that yourco supplies your service to as an employer wont help much.
      Edited - bear with me, I'm still learning.

What is the correct terminology to use for a company you contract your services to?
      Last edited by ptrcontract; 8 July 2007, 17:56.

Comment

Client - or rather end-client.

Going with a client long-term is a finely balanced decision. There is nothing wrong with doing so, if you accept that you trade in some benefits (maybe need to reserve some funds for an IR35 assessment; inability to record commuting costs as company overheads after 2 years etc) with the security of having contractor income on a long term basis.

Many contractors are so obsessed with avoiding IR35 that they ignore the (often) much bigger loss of income experienced by being on the bench for a long time between shorter term contracts.

So, if you have the opportunity to have a long term contract on good rates, it deserves a proper appraisal. In my opinion.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
        X