• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

M40 on Saturday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M40 on Saturday

Anyone else get caught up in the traffic on Saturday?

I spent 10 (yes that's right 10) hours to do the 200 miles from Surrey to Manchester on Saturday......

It was an interesting experience - as you can imagine, the bank next to the motorway became an impromtu toilet and one young girl in front of me actually climbed the banking and dropped off a brown shark in the bushes!!!

At one point i noticed that my satnav said I had 105 miles to go - five and a half hours later I had 104 miles to go!!!

I am sure that there were children conceived in that queue...

Originally posted by brollyman

I spent 10 (yes that's right 10) hours to do the 200 miles from Surrey to Manchester on Saturday......

It was an interesting experience - as you can imagine, the bank next to the motorway became an impromtu toilet and one young girl in front of me actually climbed the banking and dropped off a brown shark in the bushes!!!

At one point i noticed that my satnav said I had 105 miles to go - five and a half hours later I had 104 miles to go!!!

No I didn't, but spent 7 hours in a jam last year on the M1. I was getting so frustrated I thought I was going to do a Michael Douglas/Falling down and go a bit psycho. I feel your pain brother.

Comment

crikey! what caused it? 20ft flood? alien invasion? dirty bomb?

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
        crikey! what caused it? 20ft flood? alien invasion? dirty bomb?
        Women drivers more than likely...

Comment

Makes me feel better about my (now not so) epic on Thursday.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I'm waiting to see how Troll will suggest that a 10yr old 4x4 will have solved the problem

Comment

It was a fuel tanker which ruptured between J15 and J16 - they cleared all the spilled fuel, but it had attacked the tarmac and they had to re-surface the motorway.........

Traffic managment was non-existant

Comment

I bought TomTom with the traffic updates and so it diverts me well before hand. It is worth every penny and more.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                  I bought TomTom with the traffic updates and so it diverts me well before hand. It is worth every penny and more.
                  How does the updates work?
                  I have been considering this option.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

It was a fuel tanker which ruptured between J15 and J16 - they cleared all the spilled fuel, but it had attacked the tarmac and they had to re-surface the motorway.........

Traffic managment was non-existant
                    I had a similar experience on the M40 on a Saturday in Spring.

A truck caught fire and the motorway became a car park for about 5hrs.

Moral of the story, stay away from the M40 on Saturdays!

Comment

Working...
                    X