• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch Break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch Break

Just received an email from the PM, stating that every person on our project must take a 45-minute lunch break every workday by law.

Is this applicable to me as a contractor?
    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Yes it is, I take mine at 10pm after spending 3 hours in the pub

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Not from him it isn't. MOO (That may look silly). Although if you're employing yourself then you should tell yourself the same thing - hell, make it compulsory for you to take a 3hr lunchbreak down the pub.

Edit: Whoa EO - spooky.

Comment

Not unless the window cleaners and those odd women who come in to water the plants are bound by the same rules.

You don't work for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon
          Just received an email from the PM, stating that every person on our project must take a 45-minute lunch break every workday by law.

Is this applicable to me as a contractor?
          Just say you'll save all yours up and take a (paid) week off at the end of the project instead.

Comment

In any case, the law actually states that your employer (in this case, YourCo) is required to allow a 20 minute break after 6 hours work.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
              In any case, the law actually states that your employer (in this case, YourCo) is required to allow a 20 minute break after 6 hours work.
              I don't think posting on here for 6 hours constitutes 'work' - even by it's loosest definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                I don't think posting on here for 6 hours constitutes 'work' - even by it's loosest definition.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X