• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And It Was All Going So Well...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And It Was All Going So Well...

Applied for a gig and it turned out to be a client I'd been at a couple of years ago (they don't 'do' direct so EB must be involved). They'd love me to go back etc etc so all pimp has to do is get a good IR35 contract out and pay.

And then this drops into Outlook

1) A copy of your passport by fax or a scanned and emailed copy - the copy must be clear
    2) Limited Company name and whether or not you are the Director.
    3) Bank details
    4) Referee contact details to cover the past 2 years .
    I've got a letter from the Director (me) saying right to work, done all checks, indemnify you as an EB etc etc but am struggling for a nice polite way to tell em to feck right off on point 4. 2 and 3 are find but references for past 2 years? They're 'aving a larf!

Originally posted by Epiphone
    Applied for a gig and it turned out to be a client I'd been at a couple of years ago (they don't 'do' direct so EB must be involved). They'd love me to go back etc etc so all pimp has to do is get a good IR35 contract out and pay.

And then this drops into Outlook

I've got a letter from the Director (me) saying right to work, done all checks, indemnify you as an EB etc etc but am struggling for a nice polite way to tell em to feck right off on point 4. 2 and 3 are find but references for past 2 years? They're 'aving a larf!

Do what i did. Just give them the details of previous agencies u contracted through.

Comment

Just "forget" to send them. By the time they chase them up you will be well underway in the gig and can tell them to poke off.

Comment

Give them the details of the client you are going to be doing the gig for

Comment

If you are opted in, then they need to check that you are who you say you are.

I always give people that I know are of absolutely no use to them - previous agencies, fellow contractors, people in permie jobs that don't deal with agents...

Or tell them that for the past two years you've been working on a project that you can't disclose the contacts there for "security reasons".
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

All good suggestions. going to reply with the Right to Work from MyCo, details of last few pimps and mention all those NDA's I signed prevent me from giving out client info

ta muchly

Comment

IIRC, it's also, of course, illegal for you to copy a passport without a Home Office licence
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

I think I've been in exactly that situation. Tell them you don't think that's appropriate in the present case.
                Also make sure they don't sneak an exclusivity clause in their contract.

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
                  IIRC, it's also, of course, illegal for you to copy a passport without a Home Office licence
                  Been reading up on that. You can take a copy if you have to abide by money laundering laws. Not sure if an EB would or would not so haven't put that in the email back.

Comment

Heh heh, contract arrived this morning in an email. Names me personally all over it. Also another request for a passport. The references thing seems to have worked though

Sigh, seems B&C will have some reading to do. It's only a fall back contract anyway if another one doesn't come off.

Comment

Working...
                    X