• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prince gives his new album away free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to admire the little fella

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

Katie Allen, media business correspondent
    Friday June 29, 2007

The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn widespread criticism from music retailers.
    The Mail on Sunday revealed yesterday that the 10-track Planet Earth CD will be available with an "imminent" edition, making it the first place in the world to get the album. Planet Earth will go on sale on July 24.

"It's all about giving music for the masses and he believes in spreading the music he produces to as many people as possible," said Mail on Sunday managing director Stephen Miron. "This is the biggest innovation in newspaper promotions in recent times."

The paper, which sells more than 2m copies a week, will be ramping up its print run in anticipation of a huge spike in circulation but would not reveal how much the deal with Prince would cost.

One music store executive described the plan as "madness" while others said it was a huge insult to an industry battling fierce competition from supermarkets and online stores. Prince's label has cut its ties with the album in the UK to try to appease music stores.

The Entertainment Retailers Association said the giveaway "beggars belief". "It would be an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career," ERA co-chairman Paul Quirk told a music conference. "It would be yet another example of the damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of value around recorded music.

"The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores. And I say that to all the other artists who may be tempted to dally with the Mail on Sunday."

High street music giant HMV was similarly scathing about the plans. Speaking before rumours of a giveaway were confirmed, HMV chief executive Simon Fox said: "I think it would be absolutely nuts. I can't believe the music industry would do it to itself. I simply can't believe it would happen; it would be absolute madness."

Prince, whose Purple Rain sold more than 11m copies, also plans to give away a free copy of his latest album with tickets for his forthcoming concerts in London. The singer had signed a global deal for the promotion and distribution of Planet Earth in partnership with Columbia Records, a division of music company Sony BMG. A spokesman for the group said last night that the UK arm of Sony BMG had withdrawn from Prince's global deal and would not distribute the album to UK stores.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Is he Prince again now?

I always thought his music was sh*te....

Comment

Overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Overpriced.
        The thought of having to buy the Mail on Sunday to get a Prince CD.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Overpriced.
          You are so funny, almost as good as Bobby Davro, almost
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I liked him up to 'Diamonds & Pearls' but it all went a bit downhill and samey from there.

Sign 'o' the times is an all time great IMO.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Can't believe all the whining in that article by people in the music industry. Prince has always manifested he felt like a slave of his record company (Sony I believe), and has demonstrated with his last couple of records that he isn't interested in how many copies it sells. At least he can now make the music he wants to make for a small yet dedicated audience. The man is music through and through and I applaud this move, although I'd have appreciated more if he made his album available for free through his website rather than distributing it through some sleazy newspaper..

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest
                Can't believe all the whining in that article by people in the music industry. Prince has always manifested he felt like a slave of his record company (Sony I believe), and has demonstrated with his last couple of records that he isn't interested in how many copies it sells. At least he can now make the music he wants to make for a small yet dedicated audience. The man is music through and through and I applaud this move, although I'd have appreciated more if he made his album available for free through his website rather than distributing it through some sleazy newspaper..
                Well yes, can't imagine many Daily Mail readers would be Prince Fans, Val Doonican possibly or something Celine Dion tastic

Comment

Ponce!
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                  X