• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts in the City seem to be few and far between at the moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts in the City seem to be few and far between at the moment

Contracts in the City seem to be few and far between at the moment, I'm looking like mad at the moment and I've never seen the state of the job market so much subject to inertia before with loads of agencies chasing the same job and roles that mysteriously don't come back with a reply after I have my CV sent down there.

And we're supposed to be in a 'boom' period down here in London....

VC++ roles are now rare and C# roles are applied to by loads of candidates but I'm not getting a bite ! I've been in banks for years with those skillsets and it just seems to be worse now that it was during recession time 2001+.

Anyone else finding the same state of play ? n5Gooner do you do contracts in the City - you are rarely out of a job for long I hear .. what is the secret of your success ?

I've been given the old its Summer and no one is about story .. but I remember Summers in the past being full of more opportunities...

Is this the end of Contracting in The City ? I know alot of the banks now have cheap Indian IT guys but hey ..often they aren't the best candidates for business facing roles ..

How long you been looking?

How many interviews you had in that time?

What rate are you asking for?

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant
      Is this the end of Contracting in The City ? I know alot of the banks now have cheap Indian IT guys but hey ..often they aren't the best candidates for business facing roles ..
      Feeling a bit depressed now, I was hoping to land a job in the city in about three weeks. Plan B anyone?
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I had a few calls for city roles when I was looking 2 weeks ago. I'm in one now - there's tons to do and no way the work could be outsourced to someone not physically on site.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
          I had a few calls for city roles when I was looking 2 weeks ago. I'm in one now - there's tons to do and no way the work could be outsourced to someone not physically on site.
          Do they have canteens in the city, or is it sambo at your desk?
          Place I am currently at has cheep canteen, good food, I am going to miss it
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
            I am afraid you cannot call them Sambo's now...that went with gollywog etc!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On

I was going to post this as a separate thread, I'm an experienced C# developer - plenty of roles outside the City in London, which is fine at the mo, but obviously rates are higher in the city, getting these contracts seems to be a Catch 22 situation regarding financial experience; experience is required (derivatives for example) - but how do you get that experience in the first place?!

Comment

Hey that's interesting just over a month ago the agent I spoke to was was overwhelmed with C++ roles. In fact I was under the impression that the market was so good, I was considering ending my contract prematurely and demanding top rates. Hmm so the contract market suddenly died.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant
                  n5Gooner do you do contracts in the City - you are rarely out of a job for long I hear .. what is the secret of your success ?
                  He sleeps with his clients and agents.

HTH
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
                    The canteen is good and subsidised but Fuzzy's Grub reigns supreme.

This is actually my first city gig, but I did get called about quite a few when I was looking the week before last, got passed up on one in the gherkin because I wasn't ITIL certified.

Maybe that would be a thing to do if you haven't got it already - regardless of how relevant you think it is or if you need it or not - it's the kind of thing that get's your CV looked at from what I can tell
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X