• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lewis Hamilton hype

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lewis Hamilton hype

The best driver in F1 has won the last two races. Being on the podium each race won't be enough for Lewis.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Never been into F1 but must admit the the hype around him has got me interested to watch him. I think he now 12 points clear on the drivers board. Does that mean he is safe ? how many races are left

At last GB are starting to get some sportmen / women into the top flight of their skill
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
      At last GB are starting to get some sportmen / women into the top flight of their skill
      We have always been good at darts.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
        Never been into F1 but must admit the the hype around him has got me interested to watch him. I think he now 12 points clear on the drivers board. Does that mean he is safe ? how many races are left

It's all hype, he walked into the team with the fastest car with experience of the new tires (he was running on them last year).

A few years ago they changed the points system to reflect consistency, the move was designed to knock Schumacher off his perch. It now means someone can win the world championship who has been consistent but hasn't won the most races. Hamilton is reaping the benefits of that rule change and experience of the tyres.

Ferrari is now catching up and the others are getting experienced with the tyres. He's going to struggle to be on the podium soon.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          It's all hype, he walked into the team with the fastest car with experience of the new tires (he was running on them last year).

A few years ago they changed the points system to reflect consistency, the move was designed to knock Schumacher off his perch. It now means someone can win the world championship who has been consistent but hasn't won the most races. Hamilton is reaping the benefits of that rule change and experience of the tyres.

Ferrari is now catching up and the others are getting experienced with the tyres. He's going to struggle to be on the podium soon.
          That is all very interesting, Bagpuss, but I think you will find that 'Wacky Races' was far more entertaining than F1.

Comment

8 races left and he's certainly not safe yet!

There has been a lot of hype I agree but mostly justified, the guy is only 22 years old and it's his first season in Formula 1, that's got to be something to be admired, even if he is in one of the best cars!

Comment

Originally posted by kirk

There has been a lot of hype I agree but mostly justified, the guy is only 22 years old and it's his first season in Formula 1, that's got to be something to be admired, even if he is in one of the best cars!
              Yes, but could he beat Sergeant Blast and Private Meekly in the Army Surplus Special? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk

His record is similar to the rookie year of Jacques Villeneuve, who also started in the best car.

Comment

Ferarri have been using bridgstones for years, so no "getting used to it there".

I agree that Lewis has fallen on his feet in having a very fast car that is also reliable (Mclarens haven't been this reliable for years), but he is also driving extremly well for someone who has only started 9 F1 races.
                  I agree that the point system is favoring him being consistent rather than winning races, but give the guy some credit for being bl**dy good at what he does.
                  I'm certain he will be world champion one day, but maybe not this year.

I was at Silverstone at the weekend and the atmosphere was great.
                  Lewis, his dad, his crew and the vast majority of the crowd were genuinely delighted on Saturday when he took pole position.
                  I was talking to a bunch of Brazilian guys who unashamedly supported Massa - we should do the same for Lewis - whether he wins, comes second or doesn't even finish.
                  But lets not exclude the other brits in F1 Button (who will probably not win another race), Coulthard (who's earned more points than any other british F1 driver) and Davidson

ok, I'm showing my colours too much now

Meant to add:
                  Lewis is also a good looking guy, who seems to be able to talk sense and not get too up himself (unlike Villeneuve)

Comment

Originally posted by Orangutan
                    Ferarri have been using bridgstones for years, so no "getting used to it there".

I agree that Lewis has fallen on his feet in having a very fast car that is also reliable (Mclarens haven't been this reliable for years), but he is also driving extremly well for someone who has only started 9 F1 races.
                    I agree that the point system is favoring him being consistent rather than winning races, but give the guy some credit for being bl**dy good at what he does.
                    I'm certain he will be world champion one day, but maybe not this year.

I was at Silverstone at the weekend and the atmosphere was great.
                    Lewis, his dad, his crew and the vast majority of the crowd were genuinely delighted on Saturday when he took pole position.
                    I was talking to a bunch of Brazilian guys who unashamedly supported Massa - we should do the same for Lewis - whether he wins, comes second or doesn't even finish.
                    But lets not exclude the other brits in F1 Button (who will probably not win another race), Coulthard (who's earned more points than any other british F1 driver) and Davidson

ok, I'm showing my colours too much now

Meant to add:
                    Lewis is also a good looking guy, who seems to be able to talk sense and not get too up himself (unlike Villeneuve)

He's good no doubt, but he finishes in formation expected from the car.
                    Raikonnen didnt run on those tyres last year, nor did Alonso!

He hasn't performed any better than someone (another rookie) not considered one of the greats (Villenueve). Therefore you have to conclude most of it is down to the car and the rest is largely hype.

Raikonnen impressed more as a rookie, entered F1 in a middle pace car and impressed after only ever being in 20 odd races before F1. i.e. much less experience than the mclaren funded Hamilton.

If Hamilton holds off Kimi from the title (by winning races) I will be impressed, because Kimi is the fastest driver, until then, good but no cigar.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 9 July 2007, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
                    X