• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fake Agency Phone Call Scam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Agency Phone Call Scam?

I've had several instances over the past few weeks of phone calls from people purporting to be agents who’ve seen my CV on one of the on-line recruitment sites (or received it from an earlier application to their agency) and claiming to have several vacancies which match my experience. They have gone on to ask plausible questions about my past experience and the type of role and rates I’m looking for, if there are any clients I don’t want my CV to go to etc. They go on to promise several job specs will be sent via email for my perusal.

In every case, no follow up email has arrived.
    In every case the call was to my mobile but with their number withheld.
    They never tried to get me to call any number – so it’s not a premium rate call scam.
    They never asked me to divulge any details that were not on my CV – so not trying to get previous clients contact details or my bank details etc.
    I managed to get an email address and phone number off the last caller on Friday last – both were fake when I followed up today.

What purpose could there be for these calls – any ideas?

Cheers, Mullaca

Sounds like fishing for leads to me.

Comment

I have a had a few agencies phone me recently trying to get me to take on people. Even when i explained to one agency that i had never heard of that i do the hiring and firing and i don't need anyone as there is not enough work or budget they insisted that if i took one of their contractors it would help get the work done on time or early. Hung up in the end but must admit i do like laughing at them on the phone when they call and it's so obvious what they are after.
      Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Gosh, can't think what they would be calling you for.

Perhaps to get info/contact from previous gigs you've worked at.

Or maybe they were just being friendly.

Comment

All this talk of agents, has made me remember this quote:

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Comment

I've had them actually come out and tell me outright that they need some leads and to even say things like "you help me and I'll help you".
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I've also had that type of call but these ones never ask for lead type info.

These ones do follow a pattern - almost as if they're reading a script!

I did wonder if they might have a quota of calls to make each day/week and they were just filling that quota. Can't think of any other reason for the calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                Gosh, can't think what they would be calling you for.

Perhaps to get info/contact from previous gigs you've worked at.

Or maybe they were just being friendly.
                I just put my CV live again last week, no phone number. I got several emails offering to re do my CV, self-development course and a franchise. Maybe they call if there is a number, didn’t seem like the usual spam it had too much information.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                X