• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to somewhere else

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to somewhere else

Here's what I want:

Low amount of violence and crime
    A bit of space and pleasant scenery.
    Lower cost of living (i.e. not looking to be an expat in the 3rd world, just want to get away from overpriced tiny cramped accommodation).
    More or less temperate climate (no 6-month -30 winters, not constant sunshine and melting temperatures)
    No bugs. That counts out NW Scotland BTW.
    English-speaking.
    Either smoking allowed in bars, or plenty of outdoor bug-free possibilities in a comfortable climate.
    Somewhere I can go and live despite being over 55 years old. (skilled worker visa limit for Aus 45, NZ 55).
    Somewhere with either work available, or good cheap air links to EU.

Does anyone have better research that I do? I can't find anywhere that fits even that short list, never mind the longer one. I do have a "nearest fit", that gets all but two, one of which is cost of living. But the smoking will probably go from all of the EU soon. That just means never going out, as we now don't in the UK.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

You don't want much do you?

If such a place existed, there would be 60m expats living there.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      Here's what I want:

Lower cost of living (i.e. not looking to be an expat in the 3rd world, just want to get away from overpriced tiny cramped accommodation).
      More or less temperate climate (no 6-month -30 winters, not constant sunshine and melting temperatures)
      English-speaking.
      Either smoking allowed in bars, or plenty of outdoor bug-free possibilities in a comfortable climate.
      Somewhere I can go and live despite being over 55 years old. (skilled worker visa limit for Aus 45, NZ 55).

Does anyone have better research that I do? I can't find anywhere that fits even that short list, never mind the longer one. I do have a "nearest fit", that gets all but two, one of which is cost of living. But the smoking will probably go from all of the EU soon. That just means never going out, as we now don't in the UK.
      So you want people from another country to accept you entirely on your terms? I can see that you are 55
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        Here's what I want:

English-speaking.

Curious as to what your nearest fit is?

BTW Nowhere is my answer. Unless you count some parts of spain, then again I'd consider those bits my version of living hell.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Never been there but how about Gibraltar or Malta ?
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

What do people think of Vancouver (island) area?

Does that fit the bill?

At over 55 your should be retired and wealthy. What have you been doing with your money? Giving it all away in taxes or something stupid?
            Last edited by King Cnvt; 9 July 2007, 17:30.

Comment

Think it'd fail on his list on these counts:

Weather
              No smoking in bars.
              Work available.
              Cheapflights/close to eu
              Not sure about his visa requirements either, their immigration criteria is partially based on age.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                So you want people from another country to accept you entirely on your terms? I can see that you are 55
                Sour-puss again today, DA? Is it not possible to muse on where one would like to live, and why? I do not "want people to accept me", I hope that some congenial people will, and am not disappointed if some don't. That would include you I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                  What do people think of Vancouver (island) area?

Does that fit the bill?

At over 55 your should be retired and wealthy. What have you been doing with your money? Giving it all away in taxes or something stupid?
                  Divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                    Think it'd fail on his list on these counts:

Weather
                    No smoking in bars.
                    Work available.
                    Cheapflights/close to eu
                    Not sure about his visa requirements either, their immigration criteria is partially based on age.
                    Canada OK, 15 years in Paris gets me a lot of extra points on the application for fluent French. I get 0 for age but at least there isn't a cutoff. Much of Canada is deadly for biting insects.

Comment

Working...
                    X