• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin loses Cross Country rail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin loses Cross Country rail

Thank feck for that!

And they can take their overcrowded, sewage-smelling carriages with them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6286904.stm

Virgin trains >

Isn't this why the trains are so crap? The fact that they go up for tender so often means that no company wants to invest too much in rolling stock.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Why are arriva getting a 1.05Bin subsidy? If they can't run the business then they should not have got the contract. OR they should not be allowed to take profits while being subsidised.

It is just plain wrong.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        Why are arriva getting a 1.05Bin subsidy? If they can't run the business then they should not have got the contract. OR they should not be allowed to take profits while being subsidised.

It is just plain wrong.
        I don't know about the size of the subsidy, buy nobody could run the trains unsubsidised - privately or publicly. And there'd end up being no (or almost no) train service which would cause other problems on the transport network.

Comment

are Virgin still going for the GNER line ?

Must admit i have used the Cross Country and they do look a bit crap.

I then used the pendalino's for just over a year and they are very nice. Alot of money invested in those things.
          Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
            I don't know about the size of the subsidy, buy nobody could run the trains unsubsidised - privately or publicly. And there'd end up being no (or almost no) train service which would cause other problems on the transport network.
            If it is a susidised service then the company should not be taking any profit then?
            If the whole thing is being funded by the public then maybe it should be a nationalised industry where any profits go back into the business.
            Instead we see company after company take subsidies to run the network, but hike fares and pay large divvies and bonuses to to shareholders and executives.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If the whole thing is being funded by the public then maybe it should be a nationalised industry where any profits go back into the business.
              Instead we see company after company take subsidies to run the network, but hike fares and pay large divvies and bonuses to to shareholders and executives.

Comment

If it is a susidised service then the company should not be taking any profit then?
                Noooooo - I'm agreeing with you again.

Comment

The railways are one industry that should not have been privatised. The whole point of privatisation is choice. What choice does the consumer have?
                  None!

The privatised railways are soaking up just as much tax payer money for a sh1te service. The french manage to run a superb state railway system, why can't we?
                  I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

The franchises are for far too short a period. TOC either hike fares and then buy new gear or just run with crap..like the train I take every day...crap.

And, any train company that declares a profit whilst recieving a subsidy must have used public money to declare that profit. How do they get away with that? ahhh...ain't Sir Richard a good buddy of Labour?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X