• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crime Pays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crime Pays

Spoke a friend and fellow contractor last night. He's on a gig at an FE College. Last Thursday he had his mobile phone stolen from his desk. He rang security to ask them to check their CCTV to see if they had anything and they did appear to have a youth recorded hanging around at the time near where his office is (plus you could se the guy’s face on the camera image).

So he rang his mobile provider, informed them of what had happened and asked them to put a stop on the phone. They asked him to get a crime number from the police so the phone could be replaced under the provider’s customer insurance scheme.

He then rang the police, described what had happened and told them he had what appeared to be good CCTV evidence. To his astonishment, the police operator told him that they don’t record mobile phone thefts under current Home Office Guidance. The police still didn’t want to know when he advised them of the CCTV evidence. So now he cannot get his phone replaced for free because he cannot provide a crime number.

Moral? Don’t leave you’re mobile unattended, of course. But what’s more worrying is that so called ‘guidelines’ are preventing police from investigating crimes simply to keep the crime stats down.

The police? Leicestershire Constabulary – cheers guys, were all feeling a lot more safer now.

Welcome to Neu Leiber.

Originally posted by zeitghost
    The recommendations here are to keep all doors locked when you are not in your office.

We've had a fair few projectors nicked... some of which were chained to the ceiling...
    Where the feck do you work Zeity - the Bronx?
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      But what’s more worrying is that so called ‘guidelines’ are preventing police from investigating crimes simply to keep the crime stats down.
      This really makes me upset too. A friend had a wallet nicked from his unattended jacket in a club... foolish I know, but when he went to the police station to report it so that he could get a crime reference and therefore replacement driving licence etc etc without having to pay for them, the police said that it wasn't a crime because he didn't see it being stolen.

?!?!?! Blatently for keeping crime stats down... bas**rds!!
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

The only crime left in Britain is the bulltulip crime statistics as made up by New Lie.

Comment

I purchased a flat a couple of years ago and during the exchange-complete period it had experienced a leak from above and mould had formed on the ceiling in the lounge. We alerted the management company (insurance etc) but they took so long and we were refurbing anyway that we had the work done ourselves. We let it to a guy who as is typical didn’t pay the last months rent and disappeared off to Canada after 6 months. We let it again, there appeared no recurrence of the water problem. After this guy had left (12 months) we decided to put in a new kitchen and noticed that at some time since we last saw the water problem had recurred and the ceiling was crumbling along the joist. We contacted the maintenance company once again and they came back with you made a claim back 2 years ago and I would not be covered. As I stated I had not made a claim and so the sent me the documentation from that time.

It appears that after we had let to the first guy the letter re the insurance claim arrived (in my name) and he had opened it. He took it upon himself to get a quote from a legit company for 1800 quid, he then made up another quote from a bogus company registered to his ex-wife’s address for 1400 quid. He sent them back forging my name on the claim form. The insurers chose the lesser of the quotes and instructed me (him actually) to use the 1400 company. They of course did not do the work but he sent back (as me again) saying all was satisfactory and could they pay the company directly in the name of A Wand (his name) and gave his personal bank account. It appears they did so and he went off happily to Canada with 1400 quid fraudulently received from the insurers and having forged my signature on a few occasions to get there.

I rang the police and the insurers. They took the details (cast iron case I would say), we even gave them the means of obtaining his address in Canada. I recently heard they are not pursuing the case further. They are only interested in numbers and that can be achieved by easier means than bothering to write to the Canadian authorities.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of the times when I would return to my office and find it open with the janitor's equipment inside. He'd wander off to get some other cleaning solutions and leave the door open. A great invitaion for anyone walking by the pop in a take whatever they wished - which they did once.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

The police are only interested in serious crime

Like injuries to burglars - is you home burgalar friendly?
              Evil speed limit breakers - that extra 4mph will kill all children
              Smoking in public- watch where you put that fag out it might burn a small rat
              I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
                he didn't see it being stolen.
                Under the same logic, I guess that a lot of murders aren't crimes any more, if no-one saw them being committed.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"Kinda reminds me of the times when I would return to my office and find it open with the janitor's equipment inside."

I think the words you are looking for is store room and not office. Stop trying to big up your role - those toilets need cleaning!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Wonder if it was Penry the mild manered Janitor
                    I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Working...
                    X