• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Longer Need Agreement In Writing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Longer Need Agreement In Writing

Be careful what you agree to on the phone with a pimp...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...deals_binding/
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

What is the proof required?

Does the phone call have to be recorded or is it enough for me to say "Cowboy Bob phoned me and offered me £10K cash for an acre of land on the Moon. I sent him the deeds and he sent me no cash."

?

Comment

As an Englishman I see no problem. My word has always been my bond.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

And me as well. I never agree to anything on the phone that I'm not prepared to follow through on. The reason I posted the link is that we get a lot of posts on here along the lines of "I agreed to take on a contract but a better one has come up. If I haven't signed the original contract, can I turn it down and do the second instead?"

This new decision muddies those waters, that's all.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

The point to remember about this case is that it's based on the notes taken (presumably by others present in the room) when the conversation took place (again presumably over speakerphone - no such deal would be made unanimously by one single person).

If a pimp wanted to pull a similar stunt, he/she would have to make it clear right at the start, that the telephone conversation was being recorded - if not it's not admissible in court.

Comment

Humph. My word is my bond. And I'm not an Englishman.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Does this also mean that when the scrote tells me he can get me 20 quid an hour over the rate offered i can hold him to it?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Does this also mean that when the scrote tells me he can get me 20 quid an hour over the rate offered i can hold him to it?
                  If you've got a secure recording system attached to your phone, then I don't see why not.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So there is still hope for home buyers then!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X