• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zurich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zurich

Hi

I have had some interesting bites about work in CH(Zurich)

My main concerns are the following

a) What kind of residency do you get?
    b) What is the potential to get something more permenent visa wise(I know citizenship is not likely but something like "leave to remain")
    c) My missus is getting broody so I reckon the arrival of "Mini San" in some shape or form is immenent in the next 2 years. If my kid is there, will it have Swiss nationality?

d) Whats the work environment like?

Any answers, including the usual pisstake are welcome
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan
    Hi

b) What is the potential to get something more permenent visa wise(I know citizenship is not likely but something like "leave to remain")
    c) My missus is getting broody so I reckon the arrival of "Mini San" in some shape or form is immenent in the next 2 years. If my kid is there, will it have Swiss nationality?

An EU citizen will normally get an L Visa. It's trouble-free to get but is specific to the job (and I mean job, you will not normally work freelance). You can easily get another for another job in Switzerland, but that won't let you and your family live there while you work elsewhere.

Don't know about other visas. I did have a Germaqn colleague who lived just over the border and drove in daily.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
      An EU citizen will normally get an L Visa. It's trouble-free to get but is specific to the job (and I mean job, you will not normally work freelance). You can easily get another for another job in Switzerland, but that won't let you and your family live there while you work elsewhere.

Don't know about other visas. I did have a Germaqn colleague who lived just over the border and drove in daily.
      From 1st of June all EU citizens of the original state members are entitled to receive a B permit.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        From 1st of June all EU citizens of the original state members are entitled to receive a B permit.
        So in fact EU membership and EU citizens treatment is split between the "old chaps" and the "new loosers"...Fair...
        The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
          So in fact EU membership and EU citizens treatment is split between the "old chaps" and the "new loosers"...Fair...
          Hmm, sounds a bit like "Old Commonwealth" and "New Commonwealth".....
          God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Hi

Answer to c is a big....maybe...after 10 years or more.

After that, unless things have changed, it will quite often be a case of how many brownie points you can get from the neighbours in whichever canton you live in, his/her knowledge of Swiss cheese and such like.

Comment

The answers:

Yes wouldn't worry about residency, eventually you get permanent status, and after 12 or is it 15 years you can get Swiss nationality, though personally I wouldn't want it. It is actually useful to have EU citizenship. Germany is a stone's throw, and has a lot of the things you may be wanting from Switzerland, like, idyllic villages, Alpine resorts, forests, and hot summer weather.

A positive aspect of contracting in Switzerland is that you are actually entitled to perhaps the most generous unemployment benefit you can get anywhere. It is 70% of your salary and you get it for 18 months. You're entitled to this after 12 months. If the agency doesn't renew your contract you can claim your booty. Contractors are actually employees; though you're paid according to the hours you work. The tax and social security in Switzerland are extremely low, so there is no incentive to avoid anything.

A huge benefit for those who dabble on the stock market, is there is no capital gains . Houses on the other hand are subject to capital gains if you're a foreigner and leave the country. Also if you own a house there is a special tax because of the benefit of not paying rent.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 July 2007, 10:53.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Research

After surfing around a bit it appears you can get permenant residence after 5 years which is as good nationality.

It appears CH is a big java shop as well, which works well for me

Whats the going rate in CHfr for a devloper/senior developer(JAVA) there?

Comment

After surfing around a bit it appears you can get permenant residence after 5 years which is as good nationality.

It appears CH is a big java shop as well, which works well for me

Whats the going rate in CHfr for a devloper/senior developer(JAVA) there?
                  Not really. You get the C permit, but you might lose it if you go away for longer than 3-6 months. So the only way to have a guaranteed permit to stay in Switzerland is to be born there.

Rates aren't as good as in London. 100 CHF an hour sounds quite common these days. Rather hard to get something more and do not expect too much more in any case.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Zurich

It appears although expensive, cost of living is slightly less than London and I imagine the quality of life is better if you are looking for space and peace and quiet.

Francko, since it appears that you live there could you comment on that

Comment

Working...
                    X