• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting contract

Is it 'normal' for a revolving contract to require you to complete 2 weeks of unpaid training on their product and then require you to pay back a portion of the training cost if you leave your contract earily (sliding scale) over 1 1/2 years?

Originally posted by Lexor
    Is it 'normal' for a revolving contract to require you to complete 2 weeks of unpaid training on their product and then require you to pay back a portion of the training cost if you leave your contract earily (sliding scale) over 1 1/2 years?
    You got to watch those 'revolving' contracts.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Not in my book. If they want me to do what they say for 2 weeks, they pay 2 weeks' billing. If they're not sure yet whethzer they want me to do it, that's for them to think about.

I put in the time (only because I'm paid for it), and they put in the training. Neither the billing nor the notional cost is refundable short of breach of contract.

And if they want me to commit to 1 1/2 years, they can always ask, and I will quote them a rate for it.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Probably normal in India, where your replacement is coming from.

HTH

Comment

It doesn't sound "Normal", but then, what is in this game?

It depends on the way you look at it. One way would be to say "feck that! 2 weeks without pay, then I'm tied in for 18 months?! No Way!!"

But the other way is "get in - free training, followed by an 18 month gig! Yay!"

If you fancy moving into that market, and you can use those skills elsewhere, then I'd snap their hands off. You cant have too many skills after all!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

UK based company

Comment

UK based company
              Does it happen to be at the ar$e-end of the banking sector? Sounds like the kind of stunt they would pull.

Comment

Ask yourself a question. They want someone who cannot do the job (hence the training). Why are you a contractor?

Comment

Thanks for your posts.

Cheers

Lexor

Comment

hmmm, steady on guys, Lexor has not mentioned what the product is, if the product is an rare and exotic quant tool used by 8 of the top 10 investment banks, then take it and leave after 6 months, whatever the cost.

anything else, tell 'em get fecked......

Comment

Working...
                    X