• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Extracting Zip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Extracting Zip

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a Self Extracting Zip/Exe so that when the user double clicks the file, it expands and opens the application it is dealt for.

I have a large Excel file and I have created an Exe/Zip but I have to click twice to get the file. I want the user to dbl click and for the file to open in Excel.

Any ideas?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Any ideas?
    Don't zip it

HTH

Comment

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a Self Extracting Zip/Exe so that when the user double clicks the file, it expands and opens the application it is dealt for.

I have a large Excel file and I have created an Exe/Zip but I have to click twice to get the file. I want the user to dbl click and for the file to open in Excel.

Any ideas?
      Ah, you want DoubleSpace. Upgrade to DOS 6.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

i don't know about xls documents, but you can get winzip to auto execute a file after extracting... (see the "install" help) i'm not sure how this is going to work on things like xls documents though...

Comment

Any ideas?
          Google it. Most ZIP software will have a facility to create a self extracting .exe .file - some are free some are shareware with a price tag.

The thing to remember if if you're Zipping to compress to a file to be sent via email, all ISPs and companys will kill .exe attachements including S/E zip .exe's so reaame the extension to .txt.

HTH

Comment

If anyone actually opens said file after being told what it does, then they deserve every virus they get...
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

you both using NTFS file systems? Then use 'compact /c'
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There is a self extraction add on for Winzip...

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                  There is a self extraction add on for Winzip...
                  Excuse me, but have you noted the requirement? That double-clicking on the zip file should not only extract it but also open the extracted file.

It is a good question. Wish I had a good answer
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    Excuse me, but have you noted the requirement? That double-clicking on the zip file should not only extract it but also open the extracted file.

It is a good question. Wish I had a good answer
                    Yes, my point is that if Winzip can run the file after it is opened, then the add on will create the self extractor. That should meet both of his reqs...

Oh yes, your excused!!

Comment

Working...
                    X