• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service

Result

Wifey has been called for jury service

Don't like the "The court may pay you up to the maximum allowance"
    But
    £59.96@day to the 10th day
    £119.93@day 10th to 200th day
    £210.54@day above 200 day

all plus travel

Every little helps

Kerrrrrching - & praying for a complex fraud trial a-la-Guiness lasting years

Means I'll have to make me own tea when I get home but hey ho
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I got called up for jury service in the late 80's. I was a marine engineer working Tugboats out of alexandra dock at the time, for Ocean shipping.
    They contacted the crown and got me an exemption as essential manpower.
    told them that operations would cease in the port etc.
    Sw!ne. It was the worst stormy weather in years.
    I really wanted that seat on the jury.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

No wonder the self employed avoid jury service

Comment

Result

Tell her not to forget her iPod and hijab

Comment

Can you say you don't want to do jury service ?? or is this why you need to get jury service insurance incase you do have to do it. Don't think i could survive if i was out of work for 100 days. Plus i would loose my contract is that not a good reason why i could say no.
          Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
            Can you say you don't want to do jury service ?? or is this why you need to get jury service insurance incase you do have to do it. Don't think i could survive if i was out of work for 100 days. Plus i would loose my contract is that not a good reason why i could say no.
            You can say it but you still have to do it. Jury service is a civic duty and it is a good citizen's responsibility to arrange his affairs in such a way that he can discharge his civic duties.

I.e. when you work out how much money you can spend, and how much you need to have aside for a rainy day, you need to take the possibility of jury service into account.

Yes you might lose your contract. That's one of the differences between contracting and being employed. It's one of the many reasons why contract rates need to be higher than salary rates (or else you are being complicit in driving down wages and performing underpaid disguised employment).
            Last edited by Euro-commuter; 12 July 2007, 08:16.
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
              You can defer it, if they agree with your reasons, but you still don't avoid it.

I tried it some years back, as my client was going live at the time and I was the only one who knew anything about part of the system. Didn't work - they gave me the option of arguing it in front of a judge, or turn up.

Client didn't go live, as they needed me on-site and I couldn't be. Not happy all round - although the look on the PM's face when I told him I'd been called for jury duty for two weeks was fairly amusing.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
                Tell her not to forget her iPod and hijab
                Already cracked that one... I see double bonus here if she's out earning, she's not at home watching daytime telly or out spending in shops
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Already cracked that one... I see double bonus here if she's out earning, she's not at home watching daytime telly or out spending in shops
                  She must be a very lucky lady.

Comment

Result

Don't like the "The court may pay you up to the maximum allowance"
                    But

all plus travel

Every little helps

Kerrrrrching - & praying for a complex fraud trial a-la-Guiness lasting years

Means I'll have to make me own tea when I get home but hey ho
                    Hate to break this to you but they will only compensate for expenses and actual lost earnings up to £59.96 per day, they will want to see proof. So it will only help if Mrs Troll is on your company payroll.

I had to do Jury Service last year, after 7 days on a trial I handed in my evidence of earnings and the clerk's jaw hit the floor. She said "You do realise that the most we can pay out is £59 a day?". I was discharged after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X