• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tricky One?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricky One?

Guys

Quick poser for you:

I have my own Ltd Co. I applied for Vat Reg but has not come through yet.

I submit my timesheet to my boss, he approves and I submit that to the agency. They pay me on a self billing process.

The issue I have is that when I get my remittance advice slip, they pay me rate + VAT. I do not submit invoice to them so am not charging VAT. I also notice that the advice slip has a VAT number on and it cannot be mine as I do not ev en know what it is yet!!!!

What does this mean for me?

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Guys

Quick poser for you:

I have my own Ltd Co. I applied for Vat Reg but has not come through yet.

I submit my timesheet to my boss, he approves and I submit that to the agency. They pay me on a self billing process.

The issue I have is that when I get my remittance advice slip, they pay me rate + VAT. I do not submit invoice to them so am not charging VAT. I also notice that the advice slip has a VAT number on and it cannot be mine as I do not ev en know what it is yet!!!!

What does this mean for me?
    It is their mistake, but you would have to sort it anyway. If you have not invoiced them for the VAT then when you get a number you need to resend your invoices including VAT or send a single VAT invoice to cover all the VAT so far, but arrange with them so they dont pay you again.
    Or you could notsort it with them and just pay the VAT man.
    Always pay the VAT man.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

It means that someone has got hold of a VAT number and thinks it's yours or some numpty at the agency is using their number as if it's yours. It also means that you're 'charging' (I know it's self billing) VAT illegally.

I would talk to the agency rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        It is their mistake, but you would have to sort it anyway. If you have not invoiced them for the VAT then when you get a number you need to resend your invoices including VAT or send a single VAT invoice to cover all the VAT so far, but arrange with them so they dont pay you again.
        Or you could notsort it with them and just pay the VAT man.
        Always pay the VAT man.
        But he's on self-billing, he's not sending any invoices.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Doh, I was half asleep when I read it.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            Doh, I was half asleep when I read it.
            Ah so, same modus operandi as I use to make some posts.....
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

They must be using the wrong VAT number as I was in the same position but they could not start adding VAT until I provided a VAT number even though I was waiting for the paper work to come through, once I had it I got the whole lot back dated to the start of the contract.

I guess it would be just a case of updating and replacing the invoices with the correct number as soon as you get it, I'm sure they will be keen to sort it out seeing as they have been illegally charging up until now!
              Last edited by gingerjedi; 12 July 2007, 09:06. Reason: additions
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                I submit my timesheet to my boss, he approves and I submit that to the agency. They pay me on a self billing process. ?
                I assume you mean a project manager / team leader??

Talk to the agency, as they have screwed up big time.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
                  I assume you mean a project manager / team leader??

Talk to the agency, as they have screwed up big time.
                  I assume you mean client?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
                    I assume you mean client?
                    No - it's hard to get (for example) "Oracle" to sign paperwork. It's much easier to get a person to sign something, rather than a corporate entity.

I suppose the correct designation would be "approved client representative", rather than a specific role.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X