• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GETMAC Command in Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GETMAC Command in Vista

Guys,

I'm putting in a wireless LAN infrastrucuture at my current gig for laptop users. I don't have a working box running Vista on this gig and google searches aren't coming up with anything concrete.

The query is simple. Does Vista offer the GETMAC command in a command prompt window the same as XP does?

If you have a Vista box and can test this please (you might have to go to the root of c:/ for the command to work if it exists) I'd be very grateful.

If you post a reply, could you tell me what flavour of Vista your using that has the GETMAC command.

Many thanks in advance.

It does indeed, getmac brings up command box that runs c:\widows\system32\getmac.exe in vista home premium. What it does I have no idea.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      It does indeed, getmac brings up command box that runs c:\widows\system32\getmac.exe in vista home premium. What it does I have no idea.
      Many thanks Xoggoth. The command returns the MAC address of every wired and wireless ethernet connection on your laptop or PC.

Comment

Works well with arp /a

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          Works well with arp /a
          This flags the MAC for DHCP and DNS sources too.

Comment

If it works it will be the only thing in Vista that does.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Have to say that i'm using Vista on my laptop at the moment and generally speaking it's pretty good. The only problem I have is moving and copying files across the network takes an age. Apart from that it works with the software I use and is generally speaking not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Have to say that i'm using Vista on my laptop at the moment and generally speaking it's pretty good. The only problem I have is moving and copying files across the network takes an age. Apart from that it works with the software I use and is generally speaking not too bad.

The big question though is: Is it better than XP?

I have Vista and XP at home and so far I still prefer XP. The network file transfer issue is a known flaw but there is no sign of a fix for it any time soon.

TBH I can't see any half decent IT dept. wanting to upgrade unless they have absolutley no choice in the matter.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Well it is certainly prettier....

Does it do anything that I want to do that I couldn't do on XP. Nope

Can I not do something that I want on it that I could do on XP. Nope

Could I do everythig I want to if I installed Ubuntu on it. Yup

It does have a few nice features like the little screen preview when putting mouse over a program on the task bar, the aero interface has some nice little features too. like the way you can display all your screens in 3D and then select one. Drive encryption will probably be useful when I get round to setting it up. You have to ask yourself does XP do anything that Win2K didn't ? If not why are you using XP ??

The main reason I got it was to use Vista and get used to it so that I know where things are and can easily integrate into a Vista environment in my next contract should the need arise.

Comment

The file transfer on Vista is a disaster even between drives on the same machine, i.e. I have 2 hard drives and copying from one to another can take a while if there are numerous files.

Other features of Vista are just gimmicky.

Stick with XP if you have if - for now anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X