• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avg Markup on Used Cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avg Markup on Used Cars?

So buying a new car this weekend, will be part-ex'ing my old Impreza for a newer model.

The new one is advertised at £13.5k (2005 WRX Estate, 22k miles), how much do you think the dealer would have paid for that? So how much can I comfortably knock him down to?

Anyone an ex-used-car-dealer?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Originally posted by portseven
    Most of the pimps that frequent this board, allegedly...

Comment

The new one is advertised at £13.5k (2005 WRX Estate, 22k miles)
      That's not a new car... it's an old one
      HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

So buying a new car this weekend, will be part-ex'ing my old Impreza for a newer model.

The new one is advertised at £13.5k (2005 WRX Estate, 22k miles), how much do you think the dealer would have paid for that? So how much can I comfortably knock him down to?

Have a look at http://www.whatcar.co.uk/valuations.aspx or http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/ for 2nd hand valuations (if you're a car numbskull like me)

Comment

From 50% to 30%
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Umm, you could have got a new one for £15k, is it too late to bail? An import probably but even if it's only a 2 year warranty, it'll be longer than the remaining one on the 2005 model. Check the What Car adverts.

Otherwise, try and sell your Impreza privately. You get more flexibility on price if you're not part-exing usually. What the dealer would have paid depends upon previous history (is it an ex-lease car, etc.). It'll be the previous shape so will have taken a hit when the new model was released. Try and get a Glass's guide for trade prices, or the websites named by Old Greg above. I would expect he paid about £11k for it; it's always less than you think.

Comment

Easy really, look up the trade in price of the one you are buying and then subtract that from what you are paying.

No doubt the stealer will say something witty like "well I wont be able to retire on this deal" after you've knocked £200 off and got a set of new mats thrown in.

HTH
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                Easy really, look up the trade in price of the one you are buying and then subtract that from what you are paying.

No doubt the stealer will say something witty like "well I wont be able to retire on this deal" after you've knocked £200 off and got a set of new mats thrown in.

HTH
                And 12 months road tax. And a full tank of petrol just before you shake his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                  And 12 months road tax. And a full tank of petrol just before you shake his hand.
                  And after I pulled one off in the bogs...
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

And after I pulled one off in the bogs...
                    Or underneath his desk.

Comment

Working...
                    X