• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

yesterday a small agency asked me for my Passport photo ID prior to an interview ..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yesterday a small agency asked me for my Passport photo ID prior to an interview ..

yesterday a small agency asked me for my Passport photo ID prior to an interview .. which has not even been secured.

No other agencies (larger ones) have not asked me for this for the same site.

I can in some ways understand why this is ie if an Alquaeda operative gets through security there it could be really bad (although this aint a defence contract).

Question is should I send it to the agent or shouldn't I ?

If I do, I do wonder whether that valueable peice of info ie my passport details could end up in the wrong hands.

Opinions ?

Originally posted by eliquant
    yesterday a small agency asked me for my Passport photo ID prior to an interview .. which has not even been secured.

No other agencies (larger ones) have not asked me for this for the same site.

I can in some ways understand why this is ie if an Alquaeda operative gets through security there it could be really bad (although this aint a defence contract).

Question is should I send it to the agent or shouldn't I ?

If I do, I do wonder whether that valueable peice of info ie my passport details could end up in the wrong hands.

Opinions ?
    I wouldn't send it - they haven't even arranged an interview for you.
    Agencies will try to insist that they need to prove who you are on behalf of their client but (unless its SC related) they don't. Can be difficult arguing the toss with them though.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Tell them it is an offense to duplicate a passport and you could be locked up for doing so and see what they say.

Comment

The phrase "Feck Off!!" usually gets the message across

Comment

or quote this at them:

3.The Passport is subject to Crown copyright protection under section 163 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This means that it may not lawfully be reproduced without the prior permission of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (HMSO), an official who as Queen’s Printer and Queen’s Printer for Scotland manages Crown copyright on behalf of Her Majesty under the terms of Letters Patent. HMSO’s Information Policy Division administers Crown copyright on behalf of the Controller.
          Of course they only want the bio page which you are allowed to give them, but they should be asking your permission to copy it and storing a written copy of your consent.

Page 31 (the "bio page") of the British Passport contains the personal details of the passport holder. The Identity and Passport Service suggests that passport holders record the information on this page and keep it in a safe place separate to the passport. This will help the Identity and Passport Service process an application for a replacement passport if the current passport is lost or is stolen.
          Passport holders’ identity and personal information are valuable. Criminals can find out an individual’s personal details and use them to open bank accounts and get credit cards, loans, state benefits and documents such as passports and driving licences. If an identity is stolen, the individual may have difficulty getting loans, credit cards or a mortgage until the matter is sorted out. The Identity and Passport Service advises passport holders to only agree to the reproduction of the personal details page in the passport if they are satisfied that the person or organisation they are giving this to will protect it from unauthorised disclosure.

The Identity and Passport Service advises organisations who wish to retain a reproduction of the personal details in the passport that they should obtain the consent of the individual to do so. They also advise organisations to retain a record of the consent and to store the passport details securely.

Comment

Maybe the agents read this board, and want to have a poll like the one we had yesterday?

But somehow I think the title may be a bit different
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I reckon there is no job and they are just identity stealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Tell them it is an offense to duplicate a passport and you could be locked up for doing so and see what they say.
                They will tell you that you are talking out of your arse (which you are).

There are many areas where people are legally required to take, and keep, copies of people's authenticating documentation (which will usually be their passport).

The only issue here is whether this is one of them. IMHO it is, that fact that other agencies don't do it, doesn't change that.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
                  I wouldn't send it - they haven't even arranged an interview for you.
                  Agencies will try to insist that they need to prove who you are on behalf of their client but (unless its SC related) they don't. Can be difficult arguing the toss with them though.
                  You should try reading "The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003".

You will find that you are wrong.

tim

Comment

What happens if you don't have a passport and you don't drive a car?

Comment

Working...
                    X