• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it just me......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me......

...........or do you have to be a particular kind of retarded knog-head to get a permie job in the public sector? Your views appreciated.
    Last edited by Kyajae; 13 July 2007, 13:13.

Originally posted by Kyajae
    ...........or do you have to be a particular kind of retarded knog-head to get a permie job in the public sector? Your iews appreciated.
    Like doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, university professors, teachers?

Comment

It is a strict policy of Buffoon Ltd that it does not deal with the public sector.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

You can be as clever as you like, as long as you're not an independent thinker.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
          You can be as clever as you like, as long as you're not an independent thinker.
          My experience has been the reverse (but it's been in the NHS, not civil service).

Comment

Wife went from 15 years in a high-powered consultancy role into teaching at FE colleges.

The incompetence and "couldn't give a feck" attitude of some the staff drives her mad, but she loves teaching - it's definitely a vocation thing.

Personally I steer my business well away from anything Public Sector. Thankfully, they prefer to deal with the big boys (who can waste big time and big money) rather than tiddlers like me. That doesn't stop various local business groups trying to rope me in though - they never take the hint.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

If you don't like money and you like lots of holiday then the public sector is where it’s at, a job for life if you don't mind being poor plus you can be sick as often as you like without question.

I overheard an HR person say that at any given time 20% of the workforce is on the sick, sounds high but looking around I can well believe it.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                If you don't like money and you like lots of holiday then the public sector is where it’s at, a job for life if you don't mind being poor plus you can be sick as often as you like without question.

I overheard an HR person say that at any given time 20% of the workforce is on the sick, sounds high but looking around I can well believe it.
                Plus it appears to be impossible to fire anyone for being crap at their job. Gross misconduct is the only way to get binned.

You can also cite stress and be signed off for ages on full pay.

Consequently it takes ages to get anything done. It drives my wife mad. I keep telling her to go and use her Prince2 qualification and get paid properly for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
                  Plus it appears to be impossible to fire anyone for being crap at their job. Gross misconduct is the only way to get binned.

You can also cite stress and be signed off for ages on full pay.

Consequently it takes ages to get anything done. It drives my wife mad. I keep telling her to go and use her Prince2 qualification and get paid properly for it.
                  Getting sacked is certainly not easy (and gross misconduct won't always do it if you're senior enough).

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                    If you don't like money and you like lots of holiday then the public sector is where it’s at...
                    Not true for teachers and lecturers. They have to spend all their time off marking, or doing lesson plans, preparing lesson material, or doing the paperwork required by the latest government initiative.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X