• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another book thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another book thread

Anyone read this one

Was thinking of buying it but thought I'd see if anyone has read it and can offer an opinion on it.

Too grimly topical for me.

However I did notice in the 'also bought' section Yo, Blair! which looks like a hoot.

Just finished Alan Bennet's Untold Stories, which was quite enjoyable in a rambling, miserable sort of way. Re-reading Alan Clark's diaries for the umpteenth time. The man was an utter, utter sh1t, but hilarious!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Ah, the man of Saltwood.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
        Ah, the man of Saltwood.
        I love the way he revels in his smug superiority. In anyone else this would be a major character flaw, but somehow he seems to make a virtue of it.

My father-in-law knew him vaguely. Said he was a complete cnvt.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
          Too grimly topical for me.

However I did notice in the 'also bought' section Yo, Blair! which looks like a hoot.

Just finished Alan Bennet's Untold Stories, which was quite enjoyable in a rambling, miserable sort of way. Re-reading Alan Clark's diaries for the umpteenth time. The man was an utter, utter sh1t, but hilarious!
          Believe it or not, I too am sick of hearing about Iraq but this book comes highly recommended so may take a punt.

Re: Alan Clarke diaries, is it worth adding this to my reading list?
          What I know of his personality has so far put me off reading them.

Comment

My mum meet him a couple of times while walking the dog through his land. Wondered why she came back look disheveled on those occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
              Re: Alan Clarke diaries, is it worth adding this to my reading list?
              What I know of his personality has so far put me off reading them.
              Definitely!

A. Clark was a lascivious reptile, but he could write very well, and had a lot of interesting things to say. You will never look upon the doings of the House of Commons in quite the same way after reading his diaries.

I still marvel at the humbling saintliness and bovine stupidity of his darling wife.

Comment

Working...
              X