• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call for immigrant amnesty in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call for immigrant amnesty in UK

Half a million illegal immigrants should be given the right to stay in Britain, a think tank has said.

The Institute of Public Policy Research says such an amnesty would bring in £1bn in extra taxes, and save costs of £4.7bn needed to deport people.

It is urging Home Secretary Jacqui Smith to adopt the move, saying a large scale deportation would never happen.

The Home Office said an amnesty was unnecessary and would create "a strong pull for waves of illegal migration".

It is not known how many illegal immigrants are in the UK, with estimates varying widely from 300,000 to 900,000.

We would notice it straightaway in uncleaned offices, dirty streets and unstaffed pubs and clubs

The Home Office has estimated it would take more than 30 years to deport them all.

Danny Sriskandandarajah, head of migration and equalities at the Institute of Public Policy Research, said: "The simple truth is that we are not going to deport hundreds of thousands of people from the UK.

"Our economy would shrink and we would notice it straightaway in uncleaned offices, dirty streets and unstaffed pubs and clubs.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Outrageous!

Why not stop looking for other criminals, murderers, rapists, drug traffickers, thieves etc. We could operate an "if you're not caught within six months, you've won your freedom and the slate's wiped clean" policy.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

How about "if you've not paid your taxes for six months then your debt is wiped clean"? Get's my vote
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
        How about "if you've not paid your taxes for six months then your debt is wiped clean"? Get's my vote
        Where do we vote?
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

If there is an amnesty I will give my self up as an illegal Moldavian and I will then claim a council house
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If 500K illegals generates £1bn in tax extra revenue, I think we should make it illegal not to come here illegally.

If we can convince the rest of the 3rd world to come here, we'll all be millionaires. Millionaires I tell you.

(cue maniac laughter)

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
              If 500K illegals generates £1bn in tax extra revenue, I think we should make it illegal not to come here illegally.

If we can convince the rest of the 3rd world to come here, we'll all be millionaires. Millionaires I tell you.

(cue maniac laughter)

You misread the post.

Comment

Why don't any of these organisations ever state the obvious - regain control of our borders?

Comment

How did they come up with this ridiculous figure I wonder? Most illegal migrants are not going to be highly skilled sorts, they can come here legally. It is highly unlikely that their net contribution would even be positive.

It is missing the point to talk about costs of removal. It may well not be worthwhile trying to round them all up but at least in the absence of an official amnesty we do not have to be stuck with those that turn out to be criminals or spongers.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 15 July 2007, 18:55.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Someone check his status

Danny Sriskandandarajah, head of migration and equalities at the Institute of Public Policy Research

He is probably a f'n illegal and all! When I was at the home Office - doing IT, not catching them - some of the cleaners were known illegals. We even caught some Nigerian 'contractors' as illegal entrants. As long as the liberal do-gooders carry on creating these quangos that speak for a tiny minority and claim to have some authority, there is no hope.
                    I'll be off to Belgian Congo then.

Comment

Working...
                    X