• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russian Expulsions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian Expulsions

All very pathetic IMHO, we have loads of their criminals we wont extradite & we get all shirty because they won't give us one of theirs.

Handbags at dawn
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I think Milliband is being a touch disingenuous about this.

UK government know perfectly well that extradition of a Russian citizen is illegal under the Russian constitution, yet they insist on starting these petty games and never mention the facts in speeches etc.

It's not as if the Russians made up their constitution last week to prevent Lugovoi from being extradited.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The last time this tulip happened was with Thatcher... and eventually she caved in.
      It will be interesting to see how far this spineless bunch of feckwits are prepared to push it - I expect to see our diplomats being expelled, Gazprom having 'supply' difficulties,joint gas exploration licences being revoked.... and in retaliation we send ATW back

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        The last time this tulip happened was with Thatcher... and eventually she caved in.
        It will be interesting to see how far this spineless bunch of feckwits are prepared to push it - I expect to see our diplomats being expelled, Gazprom having 'supply' difficulties,joint gas exploration licences being revoked.... and in retaliation we send ATW back
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
          I think Milliband is being a touch disingenuous about this.

UK government know perfectly well that extradition of a Russian citizen is illegal under the Russian constitution, yet they insist on starting these petty games and never mention the facts in speeches etc.

It's not as if the Russians made up their constitution last week to prevent Lugovoi from being extradited.
          Apparently they have extradited in the past...they use the constitution excuse selectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
            Apparently they have extradited in the past...they use the constitution excuse selectively.
            Can you give an example?

As far as I know, Article 61 of the constitution expressly forbids extradition of a Russian citizen.

There's a lot of chatter about the 1957 Council of Europe European Convention on Extradition, which Russia is a signatory of, but there is an opt-out for extradition.

I'm not saying the Russians are right, or that their decision isn't politically motivated - merely that their position is supported by the law.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Can you give an example?
              I heard someone say it on Radio 4 last night. I don't remember who sorry, MM.

I think you should stand in Red Square with a sandwich board that says, "Extradite Lugovoi now!" (in Russian).

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
                I heard someone say it on Radio 4 last night. I don't remember who sorry, MM.

I think you should stand in Red Square with a sandwich board that says, "Extradite Lugovoi now!" (in Russian).
                That would get me deported, for sure!

Depending on the time of day/day of week, even walking on Red Square is a no-no!

Comment

...only joking ATW

Comment

That would get me deported, for sure!

Depending on the time of day/day of week, even walking on Red Square is a no-no!
                    really?! when / why?!

Comment

Working...
                    X