• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone here Cycle to work ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone here Cycle to work ??

Does anyone here cycle to their current gig ? How far do you go, I used to a few years ago, its was 16 miles each way. Considering doing it again, although this time its 20miles each way...

What is the mileage rate for cycling ??? ?
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Cycling on the road is far too dangerous an undertaking, if a careless driver hits you, you don't stand much of a chance. If I lived somewhere like Copenhagen with separate cycle lanes I might consider it:

http://treadly.thingoid.com/assets/c...wanston-st.jpg
    Last edited by Charles Foster Kane; 17 July 2007, 11:17.

Comment

I've just started cycling the 4/5 miles from Isle of Dogs to The City. I've got a folding bike which is easy to lug into the office. Takes around 25 minutes including the faffing about at either end. It's not really long enough to work up a sweat so manage without a shower and just wear v. light waterproofs over my suit.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Yes, I've commuted by bike for nearly 20 years now. Was knocked off once by a van hanging a left without any indication and in front of witnesses. Any danger becomes greatly reduced once you figure out that you can't rely on any other road user to look out for you, you have to do all that yourself. When you've got used to that, no problem.

Think mileage is 20p a mile though I have never claimed it as an allowance. At the moment I only cycle 4 miles each way to the train station. Could do with getting back to a decent distance really, rather than a 15 minute pootle.

Distance is the only issue with cycling to work. 10 miles each way is ideal and 20 miles each way is viable. After that it starts getting too time consuming really, unless you have nothing else in your life and all the time in the world. I did 25 miles each way when I was working in Paris, but that was most my day gone (apart from work obviously).

Comment

I do, now that winters over (here in Oz) I'm starting again tomorrow, distance is short, only 10km each way, I often add another 12km or so on the way home to get me over that 20 minute barrier, quicker than public transport and almost as quick as driving, excluding the shower and so on.

I have to do much longer rides at the weekend to make up.

It's actually part of the reason I stay with this client.

Comment

20p per mile..... actually know someone who claims it!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin dana
              20p per mile..... actually know someone who claims it!
              Warren Buffet started with a paper round, and claimed the cost of the bike against tax. The idea has a good pedigree.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Hardly ever done it actually!

Always worked 20 hilly miles + away from work with menacing roads.

I am going to start doing this soon in order to get miles in before nights draw in.

Suggest ride in, train home, train in ride home for a while. Need to leave some clothes at work for that though.

Comment

I live in Cambridge and it's full of bastards cycling to work. I hate them!

Comment

Never understood this thing about stopping for winter. It's only a couple of degrees cooler most the time, and most the roads are fully lit and the traffic hardly moving. Why stop just because the month name changes?

Comment

Working...
                    X