• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ruskies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruskies

May you live in interesting times
    RAF fighter jets were scrambled to intercept two Russian strategic bombers heading for British airspace yesterday, as the spirit of the Cold War returned to the North Atlantic once again.

The incident, described as rare by the RAF, served as a telling metaphor for the stand-off between London and Moscow over the murder of Alexander Litvinenko.

While the Kremlin hesitated before responding to Britain’s expulsion of four diplomats, the Russian military engaged in some old-fashioned sabre-rattling.

Two Tu95 “Bear” bombers were dispatched from their base on the Kola Peninsula in the Arctic Circle and headed towards British airspace.
    Boris Berezovsky fled Britain three weeks ago on the advice of Scotland Yard, amid reports that he was the target of an assassination attempt by a suspected Russian hitman.

The exiled tycoon and fierce critic of President Putin of Russia told The Times last night that he had been warned that it was not safe for him to remain in London, where he had been living since being granted asylum in Britain.

“I was informed by Scotland Yard that my life was in danger and they recommended that I leave the country,” he said. “I left three weeks ago but have now returned.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Tu-95's are so old you can down them with a pea shooter. Old crap Russian military equipment - no problems

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      Tu-95's are so old you can down them with a pea shooter. Old crap Russian military equipment - no problems
      Tu95s are capable of carrying the "Kent" (NATO) designated cruise missile (similar to the NATO "Tomohawk") with a range of 3000Km.

I'm guessing that they were intercepted by Tornado's, armed (at best) with AMRAAM air-to-air missiles with a range of less than 200km.

This means those Bears could have completed their mission well before the Tornados got anywhere near them.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Don't worry our staunch allies USA will step in and protect us. After all they stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us on matters of international security.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
          Don't worry our staunch allies USA will step in and protect us. After all they stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us on matters of international security.

So we would expect help two years after being attacked
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Don't worry, France and Germany will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us!
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
              And plucky little Belgium.

Comment

Dont worry

Russians can fly bombers within yards of the UK, but at least we are safe from Saddam (RIP) who could obliterate the UK in 45 minutes

I feel much better now. Thanks Tone
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Time to re-watch Dr Strangelove.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp

France...white flag waving poofters...

Comment

Working...
                    X