• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

225k - Not Bad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

225k - Not Bad

More than 255,000 people have signed a petition on the Downing Street website against any plans to build Britain's biggest mosque in East London.

Linky

Amazing how no one comes out to vote in elections or protest on the street anymore.
    Last edited by Kyajae; 18 July 2007, 11:19. Reason: Typo

It's good to see people willing to take so much time out of there busy email schedule to really make a difference.

Comment

Damage limitation begins...
      But London mayor Ken Livingstone said it was part of a "vicious" campaign to spread untruths about the scheme.

No 10 is expected to respond when the petition closes on Wednesday.

It has resisted calls to remove the petition from its site, amid claims racist language had to be removed from the list of signatories.
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I thought we'd been through this before (I think Dodgy started a thread). Wasn't it based on a fabrication that public money was going to go into it?

Found the thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/threa...ga-mosque.html
        Last edited by Old Greg; 18 July 2007, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
          It's good to see people willing to take so much time out of there busy email schedule to really make a difference.

So the govt can ignore the public opinion...fantastic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
            Of course they can. That's how representative democracy works.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
              I thought we'd been through this before (I think Dodgy started a thread). Wasn't it based on a fabrication that public money was going to go into it?

Found the thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/threa...ga-mosque.html
              We did visit this subject a while back - this current thread is the update

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                We did visit this subject a while back - this current thread is the update
                Fairenough, but I don't see how 225k people signing an e-petition based on propaganda (that public money was involved in this new mosque) is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In

It's hardly represetitive public opinion is it? 225K get an email from a mate saying 'ooh, this looks bad' and then in 2 mouse clicks sign a factually inacurrate petition.

Hardly civil disobedience now is it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                    It's hardly represetitive public opinion is it? 225K get an email from a mate saying 'ooh, this looks bad' and then in 2 mouse clicks sign a factually inacurrate petition.

Hardly civil disobedience now is it!
                    This is why I don't like extended postal voting or e-voting. If you can't be @rsed to get to the polling station once every 4 or 5 years, who cares what you think?

Comment

Working...
                    X