• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Bagpuss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Bagpuss

It's one of those 'what should I do dilemmas' so I thought I should address it to your goodself

My contract is with a large insurance firm, they claim they use Prince2, and have spent millions promoting this to staff and in advertisements for project staff. The problem is they do no product based planning, or proper gating. The £20M programme I'm working on has been 'running' for four months, and the more I look the more I see potentially show-stopping issues which exsist because no one wanted to do any planning.

I've raised it with my manager who says 'you've escalated it, that is all you can do'. The problem is I've worked on almost exactly the same project before and it will stop if they don't sort these things out now.

I know the standard contractor line is to just do whatever and who cares if it goes badly wrong, but I find this very hard to do. I can ignore it, but these issues impact me on a daily basis and prevent me from delivering.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Lucy
    It's one of those 'what should I do dilemmas' so I thought I should address it to your goodself

My contract is with a large insurance firm, they claim they use Prince2, and have spent millions promoting this to staff and in advertisements for project staff. The problem is they do no product based planning, or proper gating. The £20M programme I'm working on has been 'running' for four months, and the more I look the more I see potentially show-stopping issues which exsist because no one wanted to do any planning.

I've raised it with my manager who says 'you've escalated it, that is all you can do'. The problem is I've worked on almost exactly the same project before and it will stop if they don't sort these things out now.

I know the standard contractor line is to just do whatever and who cares if it goes badly wrong, but I find this very hard to do. I can ignore it, but these issues impact me on a daily basis and prevent me from delivering.

Any ideas?
    Are you working in the same building as me?

Comment

Me too, but I've been here 3 years and it looks like the project might just be getting stopped if I'm lucky.

Comment

Any ideas?
        are you sitting next to me ?

Comment

are you sitting on me?

Comment

flick your bean live on web cam?

Comment

I've raised it with my manager who says 'you've escalated it, that is all you can do'.
              Any ideas?

Get that bit in writing so that when it does go belly up they can't try to blame you.........

Comment

Working...
              X