• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On call???

Hi all,

I've been offerred a 6 week gig away from home.

The job itself is very interesting, BUT the rate is crap and the location is sh*te.

I've been tempted by the gig regardless though, as like I say, the job itself sounds really cool.

They mentioned in the interview that there'd be strange hours (i.e. outside of the noraml 9-5) which I have no problem with at all...if I'm away, I might aswell be at work than stuck in a hotel.

BUT, the cheeeky f*ckers are trying to get me to be on call during the weekends! And the reward they're willing to give me for this? The hours back during the week IF I get called upon!
    So basically, they want me to be on call, all weekend for free!

I'm tried politely telling them to **** off like, but they keep coming back asking me what I would accept to do this. TBH I doubt I'd even accept the daily rate to sit in the house all day on a Saturday (thats my going to the pub at 12 day!)

Anyone been in a similar situation?
    What would you do?
    The pope is a tard.

Fck that for a game of soilders. Maybe they'd like you to dress as a bunny as well?

Comment

I do on-call a week a month for a set daily fee (nothing really). If I get called out then it is at my hourly rate.

For that I get a phone and a laptop from which I have full access to the corporate network and supported systems via my home broadband connection.

There is an unofficial understanding that should a call come in then I should be in a position to help out within an hour.

Find out how likely you are to being called out. Check whether you can call on someone for advice.

Comment

I wouldn't take it at all as I value the little spare time I get.

If they are insistant then go for broke.
        All on call time will be charged at normal rate (you have to be available so cant do oother stuff you like doing) and any hours actualy worked will be charged out at normal rate + expenses and travel time paid should you need to visit the office.

Or more
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          Hi all,

I've been offerred a 6 week gig away from home.

The job itself is very interesting, BUT the rate is crap and the location is sh*te.

I've been tempted by the gig regardless though, as like I say, the job itself sounds really cool.

They mentioned in the interview that there'd be strange hours (i.e. outside of the noraml 9-5) which I have no problem with at all...if I'm away, I might aswell be at work than stuck in a hotel.

BUT, the cheeeky f*ckers are trying to get me to be on call during the weekends! And the reward they're willing to give me for this? The hours back during the week IF I get called upon!
          So basically, they want me to be on call, all weekend for free!

I'm tried politely telling them to **** off like, but they keep coming back asking me what I would accept to do this. TBH I doubt I'd even accept the daily rate to sit in the house all day on a Saturday (thats my going to the pub at 12 day!)

Anyone been in a similar situation?
          What would you do?
          Just say no. The minute you sign up for this tulip, a £700/day contract at a brewery 15 minutes from home turns up.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
            I do on-call a week a month for a set daily fee (nothing really). If I get called out then it is at my hourly rate.

For that I get a phone and a laptop from which I have full access to the corporate network and supported systems via my home broadband connection.

There is an unofficial understanding that should a call come in then I should be in a position to help out within an hour.
            And you're happy about that?!!
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

I do "on call" stuff.

Ok this is me driving lorries while looking for another contract but I have a place that pays me to be avail from midday - midnight and pays me 12 hours even if I dont go in. £180 for sitting on my keister. Been called in 3 days this week (out of 5 avail).

Not bad for being "on the bench".

Comment

sounds like they are taking the *iss

i used to be on call at a week at a time and used to get £250 for being on call and £100 per call out , added up to a nice amout once you get called out 10 times . handy if you get called out 4 times in one day when you are already at work

Comment

SallyAnne, are you tempted to be a (on) call girl?

Comment

It came with the job because we support a system that, should it stop for more than a few hours, would affect thousands of companies and could result in tens if not hundreds of millions in costs and lost revenue.

To be honest I don't really mind. I have rarely been called. A couple of times I have been available while upgrades have been done and I monitored things from home.

If a particular weekend is inconvenient we work it out amoung ourselves.

I get paid moderately well for the day job so providing the occasional out-of-hours advice pro rata doesn't bother me.

I'm just an easy mark really.

Comment

Working...
                    X