• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Falling Foul of IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling Foul of IR35

As mentioned by Mal in another post, somebody recently lost an IR35 investigation because a client who was called to the hearing went back on a working practises confirmation letter written 4 years previously.

This means that it's still out there and although investigation Ins is a must-have IMHO, there are no guarantees that you won't be one of the unlucky ones, dispite the statistics and get lumbered with a hefty tax bill.

This being the case, how much (if any) do people keep aside to cover these possibilities? Basically, what's the % difference between being caught (so I assume no expenses either) and not?

About 20% of gross earning for up to 6 years... Worrying, isn't it.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      About 20% of gross earning for up to 6 years... Worrying, isn't it.
      But presumably you'd only get 'done' for the whole 6 years if there was a ruling aganist every contract within the 6 year period, or you only had a single contract for 6 years (which might be part of the problem, some might think)?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
        But presumably you'd only get 'done' for the whole 6 years if there was a ruling aganist every contract within the 6 year period, or you only had a single contract for 6 years (which might be part of the problem, some might think)?
        Clearly. The question was "Worst case scenario".
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Clearly. The question was "Worst case scenario".
          That's pretty worst case alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
            or you only had a single contract for 6 years (which might be part of the problem, some might think)?
            yes, from what I have read in the forums long term in the same place could be a pointer - though it still is surprisingly common. There is a guy in my team who had been here in the same project for almost 10 years now. 5 years in the same place is quite usual in some of the IBs I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
              how much (if any) do people keep aside to cover these possibilities?
              Nerdy I know, but I work in IT so what the hell.

I went to an IR35 calculator, plugged in exact figures for my salary, company pension contributions and decided that the minimum I would retain each year if possible would be double the results it said were the likely missing PAYE and NIC payments.

Then when I eventually close the company, hopefully gaining from taper relief, if not just withdrawing a divi, the plan is that goes into the offset mortgage, and remains in there working in my favour until the period of investigation might have gone.

Then I blow it on crack, crisps and video games etc.

This money will therefore be available to me for drawing as divis if I want it, covers bench time, and when finally withdrawn from the company provides me with a useful purpose.

I suppose the <0.5% chance of Hector getting his hands on it has caused me to work on something sensible which I should have done anyway!

The circumstances of that recent loss sound galling, but the fact that the PCG members ratio is 1427:4 still should shame the people who dreamt up the legislation in the first place.

Are you listening GB, you property settling on your wife hypocrite.

Comment

Apparently just because a case is lost doesn't mean that you will have to pay the money. According to this post -

http://forums.contractoruk.com/threa...tml#post212790

THEPUMA had mentioned this point a few times in this forum

Comment

Originally posted by kingshuk
                  Apparently just because a case is lost doesn't mean that you will have to pay the money. According to this post -

http://forums.contractoruk.com/threa...tml#post212790

THEPUMA had mentioned this point a few times in this forum
                  Well yes, that is quite correct, but I would be a bit nervous about using this as anything other than a safety net when all else fails...

Of course, the downside is that is if you bankrupt YourCo, you will be barred from being a doirector for a number of years, which might put a dent in your earning capability: you can use an umbrella, but that's back to employee-level taxation again, or you can use someone else's company. Can't say either one appeals overmuch!
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well yes, that is quite correct, but I would be a bit nervous about using this as anything other than a safety net when all else fails...

Of course, the downside is that is if you bankrupt YourCo, you will be barred from being a doirector for a number of years, which might put a dent in your earning capability: you can use an umbrella, but that's back to employee-level taxation again, or you can use someone else's company. Can't say either one appeals overmuch!
                    So if you close down your Co. revery couple of years (and do the whole taper tax relief thingy assuming that continues) and open a new one, do you resuce your exposure - i.e. are they unable to come after you (assuming you've not behaved dishonestly over IR35)?

Comment

Working...
                    X