• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Example of "One Rule....."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Example of "One Rule....."

Driving back from a site this morning, I passed a Sikh bloke walking down the street. He was wearing in a long ankle-length gown, probably in his 60's, big white beard, huge bright orange turban. Wouldn't look amiss in a street in the Punjab. But, and, wait for it, a thick strap around his neck on the end of which was a huge feck-off dagger in a sheath.

Er, do we have a law against the carrying offensive weapons in this country or does it just only apply to the rest of us? Is someone going to tell me that carrying these weapons is purely ceromonial and would never be used if push came to shove? Or can I now walk down the street with a big feck-off 3ft bowie knife in a sheath for "cerominial reasons" too?

Originally posted by Kyajae
    Driving back from a site this morning, I passed a Sikh bloke walking down the street. He was wearing in a long ankle-length gown, probably in his 60's, big white beard, huge bright orange turban. Wouldn't look amiss in a street in the Punjab. But, and, wait for it, a thick strap around his neck on the end of which was a huge feck-off dagger in a sheath.

Er, do we have a law against the carrying offensive weapons in this country or does it just only apply to the rest of us? Is someone going to tell me that carrying these weapons is purely ceromonial and would never be used if push came to shove? Or can I now walk down the street with a big feck-off 3ft bowie knife in a sheath for "cerominial reasons" too?
    I think the law used to relate to unsheathed blades. Don't know about now, though.

Comment

It may be an offence under the Criminal Justice Act to carry a bladed or sharply pointed instrument in a public place, unless a good reason an be provided for carrying same.

Exemption: Folding pocket knife with cutting edge less than 3 inches (non-locking).

The CJA 1988 mainly relates to carrying knives in public places, Section 139 being the most important.

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches." [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]

The phrase "good reason" is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a bona fide reason to do so. Examples of bona fide reasons which have been accepted include: a knife required for ones trade (e.g. a chefs knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).

The special exception which exists in the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139) for folding knives (pocket knives) is another "common sense" measure accepting that some small knives are carried for general utility however even a folding pocket knife of less than 3" (76mm) may still be considered an offensive weapon if carried or used for that purpose. It is a common belief that a folding knife must be non-locking for this provision to apply however the wording of the Criminal Justice Act does not mention locking and the matter becomes a question as to the definition of "folding pocket knife" and has not been definitively settled within English Jurisprudence.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        1988 Criminal Justice Act Section 139
        Possession in Public Place

It may be an offence under the Criminal Justice Act to carry a bladed or sharply pointed instrument in a public place, unless a good reason an be provided for carrying same.

Exemption: Folding pocket knife with cutting edge less than 3 inches (non-locking).
        'May' and 'Good Reason' sound like the tricky ones. I though most Sikhs nowadays carried small knives for symbolice purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
          'May' and 'Good Reason' sound like the tricky ones. I though most Sikhs nowadays carried small knives for symbolice purposes.

Sorry OG, I edited in between your posting when I found a more accurate source.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Intrigued enough to look at wiki:

In the United Kingdom
            It is legal under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139) and Offensive Weapons Act 1996 (section 3 and 4) for a Sikh to carry a kirpan with a blade for religious reasons (other reasons allowed by the Act are cultural or work related reasons). The Criminal Justice Act 1988 safeguards the rights of the Sikhs to carry the Kirpan as it is deemed a necessary part of their religion.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan#...United_Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
              Sorry OG, I edited in between your posting when I found a more accurate source.
              I did something similar with my last post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae

Don't worry about it. Its only a ceremonial knife and probably not sharp enough to kill

Comment

Don't worry, all the Sikh's I've met are jolly nice chaps.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Does this mean that Gurkhas are allowed to carry a kukri? Or Ninjas a huge feckin sword?

Comment

Working...
                    X