• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client insists on preferred supplier... grrr

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client insists on preferred supplier... grrr

I have probably found my next gig and the client seems happy with me but I have to go through one of their preferred suppliers, I can see why they do it like that but I really begrudge some feckin scumbag agent getting 20% on top of my fee for doing sod all.

Anyone else in this situation?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Surely you're in the driving seat here? Ask them for a list of preferred suppliers, and then shop around for the best deal.

Comment

Tell the agent that they get 5% for factoring and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
        I have probably found my next gig and the client seems happy with me but I have to go through one of their preferred suppliers, I can see why they do it like that but I really begrudge some feckin scumbag agent getting 20% on top of my fee for doing sod all.

Anyone else in this situation?

I doubt such "Gimme's" yield 20%, I would imagine that it is more like 4%. They do this to avoid oily little contractors pestering their accounts department for early payment and give the whinging problems to the agency for the sake of peace and quiet. it is not your money it is the clients so live with it. If you dont like it make a nuisance of yourself to the agency.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest
          Surely you're in the driving seat here? Ask them for a list of preferred suppliers, and then shop around for the best deal.
          They need to be 'list X' so whoever their suppliers are they will be sitting pretty.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Sorry, but if you found the gig then the client pays the agent for their services not you.

That is the case here. Client called me, I said I was available, client and I agreed a rate, client says they wanted me to use agency A, client pays agency A 4% of agreed rate to handle me. I don't lose out.

Edit: As Dodgy has said above but I missed on first read through.
            Last edited by OrangeHopper; 20 July 2007, 11:48.

Comment

I'm in that position - had to come off the government preferred list as the end-client won't have to deal with individual contractors as Dodgy says. It's a fixed margin so there's no negotiating.

I spoke to a couple of agencies and chose a really good one who was able to get me a higher rate (which was in their interest, I suppose because of the fixed margin).

Comment

Working...
              X