• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency that pays late

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency that pays late

Hi

What is the best method of dealing with an agent who continuously makes late payments, and ignores all email correspondence - especially when it is directed at how poor their service is?
    The only thing I can think of doing is leaving at the end of my contract, even though I know the client wishes to extend it (a few weeks from now).
    Perhaps it is possible to amend the "newly extended" contract to include a clause stating "agent will pay within 5 days of receiving invoice"?

Any Advice??

I went though 12 weeks of not being paid, turned out the agency was going under. I eventually got my money but I learned a sharp lesson. Any doubt - get out.

Do not expose yourself to this risk, when the agency tell you not to worry, and boast how solvent they are, ask them to pay you four weeks in advance.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Since I am pretty new to the contracting game (6 months thus far), how could I be sure that I would not fall for this again?
      Yes, one can't be sure about any agency, but surely there must be some standard that is followed or can be included within one's contract?
      Is is normal to wait numerous weeks at a time for one's cash?
      Is there no way for me to "force" it out of them, either by putting it into the contract or simply walking out of the job (at the client) until payment is received? (would obviously lose my job in this case then)

Comment

Late Payments

Don't you have a payment clause in your terms and condition? Always insist payments terms are included in any contract. If they dont want that then refuse the contract plenty more out there and majority expect the payment terms to be included.

Try speaking to who ever you are contracting with and see if they can help by putting pressure on agency. Warn them that unless this can be rectified you will not be renewing your contract, if only part way in explain that the agency is forcing you to re-consider your contract.

I only had one try this and I told them if they didn't pay not only would I terminate then I would also charge them the remaining time of my contract. Surprisingly got paid same day!!!!

Comment

Hmm....you have a good point.
          I was thinking of taking that route, but was not sure it was the "standard" of how things operate in the contracting world (remember I am a newbie).

What sort of time frame is reasonable - 7 days? less? more?

Comment

7 working days is the minimum given the typcial vendor payment runs, that you may not be are aware actually equates to about 9 elapsed days, as they typically only count "working" days. Decide which you want.

I've not always insisted on payment terms, and in over 12 years of contracting I've learned the hard way. My current terms are 14 days (elapsed) in recepit of invoice. And I invoice forthnightly.

If they are always paying late, I'd strongly think about reassessing the terms and talk to the client and say that the agency are putting you under unwarranted financial stress.

Comment

Working...
            X