• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They don't make them like they used to

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't make them like they used to

My Panasonic 42 inch plasma has completely packed in after 3 months of light usage.

I remember the days when you actually had to come up with an excuse to buy a replacement for the existing TV/VCR/tape deck, because the old one would still be going strong after 10 years.

Originally posted by chicane
    My Panasonic 42 inch plasma has completely packed in after 3 months of light usage.

I remember the days when you actually had to come up with an excuse to buy a replacement for the existing TV/VCR/tape deck, because the old one would still be going strong after 10 years.

Yeah, but stuff becomes obsolete much quicker these days. I have replaced pcs not because they don't work, but because they don't work quick enough anymore. These days we don't buy assets, we just rent services, which is the ethos behind outsourcing, PPP etc.

Which is completely the opposite of the approach my parents have. They have just bought a new TV because the Philips one they used to have packed up. It was 30 years old.

Comment

Please tell me its still on warrenty.

But in general - given the lowering of consumables and gadgets and electronics in price. And our alleged increased spending power (my wife still shops in '70's money) - you should be able to afford a new one every couple of months or so. Hence the lack of reliability.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I think I'm going to be forced to take back my words here - after much tinkering, I worked out that the TV had entered some bizarre standby mode, and holding down the on/off button on the remote for about 5 seconds miraculously brought it back to life. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure all consumer electronics bought in this country have a mandatory 12 month return to base warranty.

Comment

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure all consumer electronics bought in this country have a mandatory 12 month return to base warranty.
          Yes they do and I think it covers every country in the EU, the US still has 3 months for electrical items which is a bit tulipe if you ask me.

There was a recent problem where MS Xbox 360's had a unusually high failure rate and people were forced to pay $80 to have them fixed but with many lawsuits in the pipeline and all the bad publicity that would ensue from disgruntled customers MS relented and gave a worldwide 3 year warranty which cost MS an estimated $1 billion.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I think I'm going to be forced to take back my words here - after much tinkering, I worked out that the TV had entered some bizarre standby mode, and holding down the on/off button on the remote for about 5 seconds miraculously brought it back to life.
            RTFM!

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane
              RTFM!
              Hopefully next time the manual won't be lost in translation from some obscure eastern language to something that has a vague resemblance to English. I promise there was no mention whatsoever of this "feature" in there.

Comment

Our Panasonic telly is still going strong after 25 years service - and I'm still trying to dream up an excuse to get rid of it !
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

This fits the Cojak household to a T...

I think I've got hubby to reconsider the whole entertainment package since I was regaling him with the latest db's recorders that cost £200 (including freeview), he thought we might have to upgrade the aerial* and get a bigger telly to go with it...

*I didn't push Sky since it's taken me 3 years to get to this stage...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

go sky+ for the full hit.... these things are better all in one go!
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Working...
                    X